Have you planted Tomatoes yet??

Started by frawin, April 05, 2010, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I started removing the plastic from my Tomatoe cages today, my Early Girls have lots of Tomatoes on them and I should be picking a few in the next 10 days or so. My Large Bell Peppers have some ready to pick now.

Diane Amberg

I'll have you know my Early Girls have leaves...  ;D ;D ;D.   We're not even close! Enjoy! I do have one pepper I could pick. (Giant Marconi) I can see already we're going to have early blight problems again. May lose one plant, (will that then be a late Early Girl?)  ;D, will start spraying fungicide tomorrow. I started one more from seed just in case. It will be a late, but alive, Early Girl but will extend the season. 

Ole Granny

Friend in Tonkawa lost all his tomatoes, cucumbers and squash to a 15 minute hail storm.  His corn seems to be coming back. Sad, as he always share with so many people.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Good Morning Alice, there were some really bad hailstorms around Oklahoma city area but we missed them here. The man at Tonkawa has time to plant a lot of what he lost. I notice there are still lots of Tomato and Pepper plants at all of the nurseries yet.

Ole Granny

Yes, he does.  But so much time and energy gone.  If he had done his tomatoes like you do, he may have been saved.  He is one of the early planters.  Gee, did you see the storm Denver had yesterday. Talk about hail.  Sad.  I have family in Denver and the area.  Must call them today and see how they faired.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Wilma

Remember those nasturtiums I planted in the house?  They are blooming beautifully, are still in the hanging planter that they were planted in and are hanging at the south end of the front porch.  I learned that nasturtiums don't transplant well, so better to plant them where they are to stay.

How are the tomatoes doing?  Haven't heard anything lately and no one has offered me their excess.

pamagain

None of my tomatoes are growing very good this year :( don't know whats the matter with em....could be I tried some new heirloom varieties.....may just not grow good here.

Diane Amberg

Pam, mine are rather spindly too, but are coming along slowly. Weather related? We haven't eaten any yet and it's been almost too hot to set many blossoms, but there may be a few in about a week. My cukes and beans and squash and peppers suddenly said "OK NOW" and we have lots.

Janet Harrington

I bought one of those planters that hang the tomato plants upside down.  I planted 3 Big Boy plants in it.  All I have are blooms and my plants look really bad.  I'm giving them one more week and if I don't see any little tomatos then the plant is history.  I have to climb a ladder everytime I water it and then directions say you have to water it every day.  My blooms look terrible.  I really feel sorry for the plant, but if I don't see tomatos, then the hanging plant is gone.

Diane Amberg

Are the blooms not setting anything? Perhaps if you do some hand pollination? Can you set the whole thing right side up in a big pot and set a tomato cage over it to hold it up ? Poor thing, I hate for you to have to toss it out completely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk