Have you planted Tomatoes yet??

Started by frawin, April 05, 2010, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I planted my  early Tomatoes a day late, I didn't get them planted until Friday, April 2nd.  They are really liking this weather and it looks like they are growing already.

Catwoman

Grrrrrrrrrrr...You beat me again!   ;D ;D

Diane Amberg

That is just not fair. We can't put ours out for weeks yet!

srkruzich

well planting right now is a gamble.  Especially with the way the weather has been lately.  Hail storm will kill them just as fast as snow. 
Plus last frost day around here is may 1.

I'll keep mine in til may :)
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

frawin

Steve, I have planted Tomatoes on April 1 in this area, and your area, for years and have rarely ever lost one. I know of no reliable source that gives the average last Frost date as May 1 in this or your area. A hail storm is very possible anytime. Admittedly I do take steps to protect the plants for awhile but it doesn't take that much to do it. You loose a whole Months growing season by waiting and hot weather can slow your plants growth and reduce your crop .

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on April 06, 2010, 05:21:08 AM
Steve, I have planted Tomatoes on April 1 in this area, and your area, for years and have rarely ever lost one. I know of no reliable source that gives the average last Frost date as May 1 in this or your area. A hail storm is very possible anytime. Admittedly I do take steps to protect the plants for awhile but it doesn't take that much to do it. You loose a whole Months growing season by waiting and hot weather can slow your plants growth and reduce your crop .

I understand that, but its a risk that if you lose, you lose the years crop.  Starting over is iffy at best.
I don't know i haven't had problems.  I get my tomatos about the same time when i grow them inside as i do when i plant them early. Its all on when you start them.  60 - 90 days from germination til you get first fruit. 

frawin

I understand Steve, I think it is solely up to the individual. Everyone has different experiences and ideas. What works for one may not work for others.

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on April 06, 2010, 07:11:23 AM
I understand Steve, I think it is solely up to the individual. Everyone has different experiences and ideas. What works for one may not work for others.
Yeah, well good luck. :)  I always tend to start my tomatos around first week of february.  Set them out when last frost has gone by.   Usually i start getting blooms int he first week.  The other thing is timing to plant between the blights.  early blight hits usually in may - june. That one is tough to get around.  Usually if you can plant later, you avoid the early blight.

Another thing i usually do when planting is put a couple tums and a tablespoon of epsoms in the hole where i plant the tomato plant.

greatguns

Frank, sounds like you been doing it wrong for a long time! ;D ;D ;D  Isn't it amazing!  Probally need to shade them with johnson grass too. ;D ;D ;D ;D

srkruzich

Well since you like the johnson grass so much, just wait til you see all the goldenrod and dandylion i spread everywhere this past weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk