DUNLAP, John - b. April 20, 1844 - d. March 25, 1901

Started by Roma Jean Turner, October 19, 2006, 07:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

(Great great grandfather of Roma Turner)
(Moline Review  March 22, 1901)

SAD ACCIDENT
     Last Friday night about ten o'clock, Mr. John Dunlap in coming out of the Masonic hall stumbled and fell over the banister, falling about fifteen feet to the ground.  He sustained a bad fracture of the thigh bone and received some internal injuries.  For several days it was feared his injuries would prove fatal, but at present writing, Thursday, he is better with a good prospect of recovery.

(Moline Review, March 29, 1901)     

Died at his home in Moline, Monday, March 25, 1901, at 5:15 o'clock p.m., John Dunlap, aged 57 years, 10 months and 26 days.  Funeral services were held at the residence Wednesday, March 27th at 10 o'clock a.m., conducted by Rev. Hill under the auspices of the I.O.O.F., A.O.U.W. and M.A.W. lodges.
     A delegation of Odd Fellows from Howard and Workmen from Grenola were in attendance.  A large concourse of citizens followed the remains to the cemetery and assited in laying them beside his son who died some fourteen years ago.
     John Dunlap had provided well for his widow.  He belonged to the Woodmen, Workmen and was a member of American Order of Annuity.  This order originated in England and some four years ago a lodge was started in Howard.  It now has lodges in four states and is in a flourishing condition.  When a member dies his widow receives $100 and a pension, or annuity, of $15 a month as long as she remains a widow.  The promptness of the order in adjusting losses is shown by the fact that Mrs. Dunlap received a check for $100 on the evening of her husband's funeral.  There are about sixteen members in the Moline lodge.

( OBITUARY  Moline Review  April 5, 1901)

John Dunlap was born in Pennsylvania April 20, 1844.  He was married to Miss Emma Wallace at Pittsburg, Pa., March 29, 1866.  To this union were born six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom the daughters alone survive their father, Mrs. Linor Elting of Moline and Mrs. Hattie Hutchins of Marshall, Mo.
     For several years the family resided in Iowa but eighteen years ago they came to Moline, Kansas, and have made this their home ever since.  Mr. Dunlap has been closely identified with the business interests of Moline and vicinity and won the confidence of those with whome he dealt by his straightforward manner of dealing.  He was sociable and friendly.  Meet him where you would, you would find his hand extended in friendly greeting, and some cheerful expression of interest manifested.  He was intensely devoted to the lodges of which he was a member.     
   Mr. Dunlap was generous; suffering appealed to his sympathies and many of us remember with gratitude his numerous acts of kindness.  N. Hill

Roma Jean Turner

???     Ever since I read this account of the accident and demise of Great great grandfather I have wondered, how in the world does one stumble and fall fifteen feet coming out of the Masonic Lodge.  You just have to wonder, who all was there?  It seems to me that the story in the paper
is pretty sparse on detail, especially given the language of the time.  Perhaps the boys had had a nip or two too many and no one was talking.   Anyway, it's one of those family mysteries.

Janet Harrington

In reading this account of Dunlap's death, did you notice the info about the American Order of Annuity.  Kind of an advertisement plug in the middle of an obit.  (See below).  I have noticed that before on these old obits.  And, I too, Roma, wonder how one falls 15 feet after falling over a bannister in a Masonic hall.

John Dunlap had provided well for his widow.  He belonged to the Woodmen, Workmen and was a member of American Order of Annuity.  This order originated in England and some four years ago a lodge was started in Howard.  It now has lodges in four states and is in a flourishing condition.  When a member dies his widow receives $100 and a pension, or annuity, of $15 a month as long as she remains a widow.  The promptness of the order in adjusting losses is shown by the fact that Mrs. Dunlap received a check for $100 on the evening of her husband's funeral.  There are about sixteen members in the Moline lodge.

Roma Jean Turner

Yes , I did notice that.  I haven't taken the time to try to find out what the other lodges, (besides the Odd Fellows), were about.  They definitely took advantage of an opportunity to 'get the word out'.

Wilma

Many of the lodges were in upstairs halls that were accessed by outside stairways.  In coming out of the hall, one stepped out onto a balcony surrouonded by railing.  If one failed to make the necessary right angle turn to the stairs, one could go over the railing.  The question is not how could he fall 15 feet to the ground, but why did he trip on the way out and go over the railing.  The halls that I have known about were much higher than 15 feet.  I don't know about 1901, but the outside stairway to the Masonic Hall in Moline that I knew was certainly more than 15 feet from the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk