Arizona May Abolish Concealed-Carry Permits

Started by Warph, March 26, 2010, 11:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: frawin on April 01, 2010, 04:05:34 PM
Probably little or none, but people can buy weapons all day long from other individuals and not be checked at all. I just think requiring a CC permit and Background check keeps a lot of people from carrying that shouldn't.

Not at all there frank.  Haven't ever had a permit and have always carried.   Not that i can't get one, but requiring one is unconstitutional and I won't surrender my 2nd amendment right.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Opium has been around for a very long time, but it's not likely to send anyone into a red rage and have them start shooting every which way and have no memory of it later. I guess at baby showers now its going to be onesies. rattles and handguns?

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 01, 2010, 06:01:03 PM
Opium has been around for a very long time, but it's not likely to send anyone into a red rage and have them start shooting every which way and have no memory of it later. I guess at baby showers now its going to be onesies. rattles and handguns?
why not. Got my kids their own .22 when they were born for when they got old enough to shoot it.  Used to set out back and help them hold it while they all shot it when they were 3 and 4 years old.  When they were 7 they could sit there shooting a target and depending on how their maturity level one got to go hunting by himself around 11 and the others around 13.  they got shotguns at 14 and rifles at 15.

Warph

Goodbye CC Permits.... AZ House and Senate approve bills.  That leaves only a final roll call by each chamber to send it to Gov.  Brewer to sign it into law.

All Arizona adults are just a few steps away from being able to carry a concealed weapon.

HB 2347, given preliminary House approval Thursday, removes all the criminal penalties that now exist for having a weapon in a purse, under a jacket or tucked into a boot without having a state-issued permit. That permit requires certain training and a background check.

Measure would make hunting constitutional right

Senate votes to allow concealed weapons

Measure would let college profs carry guns

Identical legislation already has been approved by the Senate. That leaves only a final roll call by each chamber to send it to Gov. Jan Brewer.

And Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, who crafted the language, said Brewer agreed to support the bill once he made several changes. Those alterations already are incorporated into both HB 2347 and SB 1108.

That would make Arizona only the third state in the nation to let all of its adult residents have concealed weapons, after Vermont and Alaska.

The House also gave preliminary approval Thursday to a separate measure designed to curb the ability of cities to enact their own regulations on weapons. Among the provisions of HB 2543 would be overruling ordinances that some communities now have against carrying guns in parks.

And the Senate separately voted to say that any gun which is manufactured in Arizona and sold within this state is exempt from federal firearms regulations. Backers say SB 1098 is designed to be a preemptive strike against possible future efforts by the federal government to impose new restrictions on firearms ownership.

Existing law allows all adults to carry a weapon as long as it is visible. There are only a handful of exceptions such as those who have been convicted of a felony.

A 1994 law permitted weapons to be concealed. But the legislation also said that right would be limited to those who get the required permit from the Department of Public Safety.

That includes a one-day class which covers issues like when someone is legally entitled to use deadly physical force. Would-be permit holders also are required to actually show they know how to fire the weapon accurately.

There also is a requirement for a background check.

Rep. Chad Campbell, D-Phoenix, said the requirement should remain in place.

"I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is the necessity for this," he said. Campbell said the system seems to work, providing an option for those who want concealed weapons.

"It expands our liberty and supports the Second Amendment," responded Rep. David Gowan, R-Sierra Vista. He said the ability to be armed is a right, whether the person chooses to have a weapon visible or not.

Campbell, who said he owns two guns, argued that the hurdles to getting the necessary permit are minimal, including attending the training session.

"If a person is not willing to go to an 8-hour class, get some skill training and pay a small fine to get a concealed weapons permit, then I'm not sure I want that person carrying a concealed weapon in this state," he said.

Gowan suggested that Campbell was making too much of the required training. He pointed out individuals remain free to carry a gun in the open without going to a single class at all.

Even if Brewer signs the measure, Arizona will retain the ability to get a CCW permit. One reason is they would still have rights that won't extend to anyone else who wants to have a hidden gun without the training.

For example, state law allows permit holders to bring their loaded weapons into bars and restaurants where alcohol is served as long as the owner or manager does not post it as a gun-free zone. That right would not extend to those without a permit who simply choose to carry a gun.

And other states which let their own residents carry concealed weapons extend that right to Arizonans who have permits.

The measure actually goes beyond simply eliminating the need for adults to have a permit.

Current law does not permit anyone younger than 21 to have a concealed weapon. This legislation would let someone younger than that have a hidden gun if he or she is in a home or business owned or leased by a parent, grandparent or legal guardian.

And someone younger than 21 could have a gun that is not visible if any part of the holster or carrying case is wholly or partially visible.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

mtcookson

Quote from: srkruzich on April 01, 2010, 05:23:15 PM
Not at all there frank.  Haven't ever had a permit and have always carried.   Not that i can't get one, but requiring one is unconstitutional and I won't surrender my 2nd amendment right.

Hear, hear!

I like Alaska's setup. You don't need a permit to conceal in the state but you can get one to go to the other states (that allow it) that have the unconstitutional laws. I probably still wouldn't get one but at least the option is there for people who want it.

Roma Jean Turner

One of the main reasons I am getting a permit is so I can have it when I travel.  I have to say that I learned a lot from the course and think it would be very beneficial for people to take, especially since so many people anymore don't come from families that have the background or the inclination to teach them these things as children.  Still, we are back to the constituion and the difference between people choosing to do something and being forced to do something.  Last night our legislators in Missouri were supposed to vote on a bill that would extend our rights to protect ourselves from our home, to the boundaries ofany property that we own or lease.  It never made sense to me that you had to wait until someone breaks into your house to be able to defend yourself from violence.   o bad they can't get those laws on our border states.  I'll let you know what happens.

frawin

Roma Jean good move in obtaining your CCP, Texas and Oklahoma both have passed the so called "Castle Law" and other states are looking at it. I think Homeowners have every right to protect their life and their family from criminals. I think more states will be passing similar legislation in the future.

srkruzich

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on April 07, 2010, 12:58:38 PM
One of the main reasons I am getting a permit is so I can have it when I travel.  I have to say that I learned a lot from the course and think it would be very beneficial for people to take, especially since so many people anymore don't come from families that have the background or the inclination to teach them these things as children.  Still, we are back to the constituion and the difference between people choosing to do something and being forced to do something.  Last night our legislators in Missouri were supposed to vote on a bill that would extend our rights to protect ourselves from our home, to the boundaries ofany property that we own or lease.  It never made sense to me that you had to wait until someone breaks into your house to be able to defend yourself from violence.   o bad they can't get those laws on our border states.  I'll let you know what happens.
Many states are passing that law so that you can protect yourself.  Its too late really when the criminal is in your house.  You basically have one chance to get it right.  At least if you can shoot them at the line, you can get in a second shot if you miss the first one.  Not so in a house plus it reduces the danger of possibly shooting one of your family members tremendously!

Diane Amberg

Teresa

When carrying.. make sure each state you carry in is reciprocal to Kansas..  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk