Secession

Started by W. Gray, May 18, 2009, 12:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I just had to post this. The information comes from the above web site set up in advance of the 50th year commemoration of the secession attempt.

Elected Officials of
McDonald Territory, Missouri
A Provisional Government
April 13, 1961

President, Z.L. McGowan

Vice-President, Dan M. Harmon

Secretary of State, Lee Aaron Bachler

Secretary of Treasury, Roslyn Gorske

Attorney General, Robert Yocum

Secretary of the Interior in Charge of Indian Affairs, Olin Armstrong

Secretary of Health, Dr. Adams (first name unknown)

Press Secretary to the President, Ralph Pogue

Postmaster General, Walter R. Arndt

Executive Vice-President in Charge of Grievances, Claude Wyatt
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

mobarbq

Quote from: W. Gray on May 18, 2009, 12:42:37 PM[redacted from original post]

With all the sesesh talk on the forum lately, I cut and pasted from an old thread I posted a couple years ago.  ...

Quickly after that, the provisional government set up a process to issue visas to non-citizens. They then made visas a requirement for getting into the new Territory.

I just obtained this splendid piece of ephemera today! I still have not found one of the 1961 visas that W. Gray mentioned in the original post, but I obtained this souvenir visa that was issued to tourists in 1987, who visited the City of Noel, on Elk River.  I understand it is in very close similitude to the ones the provisional government issued in the original secession attempt.  Scans of front and back are included. Actual size is 3 1/2 X 2 1/2 inches.  As an observation, I think the sentiment they express re: aggressors, is still a valid one.  ;D

The signature of "Saint Nick" is obviously a pseudonym. I will continue looking for other items of ephemera from McDonald Territory, and [hoping I am not violating any forum rules by so stating] would welcome offers from anyone having such material for sale.  Thanks.

W. Gray

Just as a clarification, I do not have any items.

I was living in Missouri (Independence) at the time and thought it was big news.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

mobarbq

Updating the previous post to include newly found items from my further research.  At least one provisional government official was appointed later, and was not included in the original list on April 12, 1961.  Here is the updated listing as it now appears on my page:

Bob Nichols was the late appointment.

Elected Officials of McDonald Territory, Missouri
A Provisional Government  April 12, 1961

President, Z.L. McGowan   

Vice-President, Dan M. Harmon² 

Secretary of State, Lee Aaron Bachler 

Secretary of Labor, Bob Nichols

Secretary of Treasury, Roslyn Gorske * 

Attorney General, Robert (Bob) E. Yocum   

Secretary of the Interior in Charge of Indian Affairs, J. Olin Armstrong

Secretary of Health, Dr. J.S. Adams °

Press Secretary, Ralph "Windy" Pogue¹

Postmaster General, Walter R. Arndt   

Executive Vice-President in Charge of Grievances, Claude D. "Butch" Wyatt, aka C.D. Wyatt

The actual page has photographs now of most of the McDonald Territory officials, if you are interested.

http://www.qsl.net/kg0yh/mcofficials.htm

W. Gray

From that site is what is described as a rough depiction of the 1961 Territorial Flag.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk