The Stamp Act

Started by Warph, March 24, 2010, 12:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Yesterday March 22, 1765 the British Parliament passed the Stamp Act on the American people requiring that all printed material be on paper provided by Britain embossed with a special stamp to pay for the expense of British troops on colonial soil.  Just as ObamaCare is being signed into law without the consent of the American people so was the Stamp Act imposed dictatorially on colonial America without its consent.

This is another dire sign and warning of things to come for Barack Obama and the Democrats over ObamaCare: the imperious, arrogant imposition of a huge crushing unwanted tax and healthcare burden on the American people.  The Stamp Act triggered an anti-tax revolt throughout the colonies with petitions, protests, riots and violence occurring everywhere.  Public resistance to the Stamp Act forced its repeal and was the precursor to the American Revolution.

While yesterday was the anninversay of the Stamp Act being signed into law, on this day March 23, 1775 Patrick Henry delivered his impassioned "Give me Liberty or give be Death" speech in Richmond, Virginia.  With the signing of this Health Care bill, Obama will regret it to the end of his days...... Warph

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Finally, somebody who knew that yesterday was Liberty Day! I was expecting comment and there wasn't any.

larryJ

Okay, so I looked it up and Liberty Day was on March 20, not March 22.  And, I had not heard of this before.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

W. Gray

My research indicates Liberty Day is on March 16 and

"Liberty Day is a celebration originated by Colorado Lions to call attention to both the Declaration of Independence and the U. S. Constitution. Events are scheduled statewide with the cooperation of Lions on the local and district level, elected government representatives and school superintendents and teachers."

"Liberty Day is celebrated annually on March 16th, the birthday of James Madison, who:

* Helped write the Virginia Plan, the basis of discussion for the creation of the U.S. Constitution;
    * Kept detailed notes on those debates in the Constitutional Convention of 1787;
    * Wrote many of the articles in support of that new Constitution, which became known as the "Federalist Papers"
    * As a member of the first Congress, introduced the Bill of Rights to the House of Representatives in 1789;
    * Was Secretary of State (1801-1809) under President Thomas Jefferson;
    * Was President of the United States"

There appear to be other versions of Liberty Day as a web site in Alabama says they will celebrate the 25th Liberty Day on the last Saturday in June. That Liberty Day is based on the 100th anniversary of the re-dedication of the Statue of Liberty.

The Austin Herald says their city celebrates Liberty Day on March 10.

Cedar Bluff, Iowa says they celebrate Liberty Day on July 3 of each year.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

The one I was referring to was the Patrick Henry one and I knew it to be March 23, the day he gave his speech.The only reason I remember it so easily is because it's my nephew's birthday. OK, so never mind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk