Zirn Residence

Started by W. Gray, March 14, 2010, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This residence ought to be familiar with the local folks.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

This has always been a beautiful home in Howard.  I know it was called the Zirn home of long ago.  Some of the others who have lived in this house in my lifetime were Mrs. Dora Henry, George Sharp, and Clark and LaVelle Anderson.  Bob and Shirley Black currently live here and run their Cattle Baron Inn bed and breakfast in the home.

Janet Harrington

That is a beautiful picture.  Someone should point that out to Shirley.

Ms Bear

That is a beautiful home.  Does anyone know when it was built?

frawin

If no one has the date, I can ask a Grandson of the family, that I am in touch with.

W. Gray

http://www.kshs.org/portraits/elk_county.htm

Here is a web site that says the Henry Zirn place is on the "National Register and/or Other Interesting Sites." Does not mention a construction date.

I don't believe this place is on the National Register so it probably comes under "Other Interesting Sites." Also mentioned is a Rader House. Anyone know where that one is? Must be connected to the American Legion Post of the same name?

The site does not mention the courthouse as being on the National Register but this site has probably not been updated in a long while.

Also shows Longton as Longdon in a couple places. And Canol should be Canola.

Also seems to have Elk City located in Elk County.

How about Nettie H. Morse. Anyone heard of her?

The answer to "Farm in the Same Family for the Longest Consecutive Period" would be interesting.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo the Rader house is across the street from the Zirn house, my wife had an apartment in it before we were married. Nettie Morss was a super lady her husband Willard was longtime President of the First National Bank and Willard and Nettie spent their lives working in and for the American Legion and for Howard. My wife worked for Willard for several years in the bank.

frawin

Wado, the Rader house is across the street from the Zirn house.  The house on the corner to the south of the Zirn house is the J. R. "Rube"  & Gertie Criger house.  The house to the east of the Criger house is the Ralph Rader house.  Amy was Ralph's wife's name.  I had apartments in both of those houses when I worked at the bank.  Both families were wonderful people.  Amy worked at the courthouse before retirement.  Ralph was a sheriff at one time.   Valentine Simpson Rader was a pilot and killed in a plane crash in 1950.  They had Bill, who was a doctor in Anchorage, AK and John was an attorney and in Anchorage as well.  Elizabeth (daughter) lived in CA. the last I knew, Helen married Allen Mills and lived east of Longton.

As for Willard and Nettie Morss, they were both wonderful people.  Willard was president of the First National Bank for many years.  They raised Charles Miller (her nephew). 

Myrna

W. Gray

That web site even has the last name spelled wrong. They have it Morse vs the actual Morss.

I have heard of Willard Morss, although I would have spelled it Morse like the web site. This was the first I had heard of Nettie.

The history book says she was a Democrat and was the third woman to serve in the Legislature. According to another KSHS web site she served in 1935, 36.

She was also the County Superintendent for ten years. Not sure if that means school, or not, but another KSHS web site says her occupation was teacher.

She was also the first president of the American Legion Auxiliary in Howard in 1922.

Nettie's maiden name was Miller so I don't know if my mother's side of the family was related to her, or not, but I would hear the Willard Morss name quite often when I was growing up.

patyrn

The County Superintendent was the person in charge of overseeing all the county schools.  I assume that meant the rural schools too as there were many scattered throughout the county in that era.

Nettie was one of those people who was very sharp and vivacious and always willing to get involved and take charge.  She was quite a religious person, too, and was very active in the First Baptist Church, I believe. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk