Newcomers to Howard

Started by indygal, October 17, 2006, 11:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Hi there! My partner Terrell and I have purchased the brick church on Wabash street, so I guess we're your new "neighbors"! We're really excited about converting the building into our home and studio (I do shard-art mosaic) and to add a little more color to the community. We've been reading the forum for a few days now and appreciate the kindness, humor and hometown pride we've seen so far. I'm sure he and I will have many town-related questions to ask, so you'll be "seeing" quite a lot of us here on the forum.

The first question we have is about the little house at Wabash and Elk (I think that's it....) that is being sold at auction. Does someone know when the auction starts (I'm pretty sure it's this Saturday, but not sure of the showing/bidding times). We'd like to be there, but have obligations in Wichita early that evening. Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Lynne (aka Indy)

bowie boy

it is this saturday and i think it stars aroud 9:30 to 10 a.m. i'll get you clearer info later,

bowie boy ;D ;D
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

Wilma

It starts at 10:00 am, real estate sells at 1pm.  You could probably find a sale bill at P & J's out on the highway.  And welcome to Howard.  We've been wondering what was going on at the church.

indygal

Thanks for the info on the auction. We're planning to be there, and those hours should work out fine.

We visited Howard this past Saturday to check out the church, the town and county. We've even met a few of the townsfolk (Julie and Marvin at the grocery store, Knute at the recycling corner (Ruthie stopped by and said hi, too), and had lunch at Poplar Pizza (which serves awesome pizza!)

You probably already know the church needs some work, but we plan to get the place fixed up pretty spiffy. If you see us out there (Saturdays for starters), please stop by and say hi.

bowie boy

just incase you are worried ther will be food there tooooo! :o ;)
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

indygal

Food?? Like hot dogs and homemade pie and hot cocoa kind of food? Woo hoo! We'll be there for sure! (Does anyone in town make to-die-for chicken and dumplings or noodles??)

Terrell

My name is Terrell and I'm Indygal's fella and the other half of "The Newcomers." I've beena lurker a few times just getting to know some folks through their words and stories. I'm looking forward to meeting one and all. Fun not to be a lurker any more (what a lurky word). Wanted to be fairly low key until the ebay business was done. Now it's just a matter of getting round about and shaking hands and making howdies.

We're both tickled to be joining the community (this and that - lol) Two communities for the price of one. Well, actually, I suppose this one is free. Oh heck, let's not quibble (or babble?). Really too excited to be communicating in other than babbles and giggles and that sort of thing, but I really did want to use my initial login to say hello and .... well, Hello!

Ya'll have done an awesome job on this site and the hard work, care and pride in your efforts shows. Congratulations! Well done! As a card carrying computer nerd I give ten toes UP. (fingers are too busy tiptapping away - go figger)

Please do say howdy if you get a chance. I'll be checking the string fairly often. More fun than checking to see what's slipped past the Junk filter on MSN - by far.   lol

We'll be getting to town weekends to get stuff(s) done and hang out in our to-be home. So, if you happen to spot us on the prowl, do stop and say howdy. We're looking forward to meeting new friends and neighbors.

My best wishes to all and thanks for providing this lovely soap box to stand upon and babble forth from.

Cheers, Terrell

Wilma

Since I said "Welcome to Howard" to Indygal, I am honor bound to say "Welcome to Howard" to Terrell as well.  So, Welcome to Howard, Terrell.  Can't play favorites here.  Altho some, I won't mention names, would say I favor Janet.

Janet Harrington

Welcome, indygal and terrell.  I am the favorite, Janet, ha ha.  Wilma is my mother.  Ms. T, who is the webmaster and co-owner of this site is one of my best friends.  Her husband, Kjell, created this site and once in awhile will join us with his wisdom.  They live just north up the street from the church you have bought.

When we were kids, our Aunt Elizabeth and Uncle Loren Kling owned and lived in the house just south of the church.  When we would come to Howard, we would play with their kids and would usually end up running up and down the steps of the church.

When I was a teenager, the Severy Methodist Youth Choir came to that church and sang for the members there.  We sang a song acappella as that church did not believe in using musical instrutments.  At least that is what I was told.  They did not have a piano.  It could be at that time they couldn't afford a piano.

Now to go further into history, my mother (Wilma) has a nephew named Stanley, who was a lay minister for that church.  Stan would come out from Wichita when it was his turn to preach.  I never did get to go when he was here, so don't know how good of job he did.

Well, enough just going on and going on.  Welcome again.

Wilma

I am sure Stan did a good job of preaching.  Remember how he could talk when you all were just youngsters.  He would have made a good lawyer, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk