Howard Lake Construction, 1935

Started by W. Gray, March 01, 2010, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Photos of Howard (Polk Daniels) Lake furnished by John Bills.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Dee Gee

Interesting pictures, did you notice the oxen hitched to the wagon in the fourth picture.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Wilma

No, I didn't see the oxen.  I was too busy looking at the old dump truck in front of them.  My father used to work construction about this time.  He helped with Lake Afton.  I have a picture of us four kids in the bottom of Lake Afton---------before it was finished, of course.

patyrn

How cool  are those pictures!!!!!  Thanks so much for posting them!

W. Gray

Somewhere in those pictures might be my grandfather on my mother's side.

He was supposed to have taken time out from farming to hire on at the lake construction at 50 cents a day.

He rode a horse from southwest of Howard over to the lake site.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Great pictures, Waldo!  Thanks for posting them.

Teresa

That is so interesting.. wonderful pictures.. having spent literally thousands of hours on that lake it is interesting to see how it started.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

I seem to have missed something here.

All of the fliers for the fireworks display on July 3, say the event will take place at the Howard City Lake.

I also noticed the sign posted to the south side of Killdeer at K-99 that had an arrow pointing east and said Polk Daniels Lake has been removed.

So is Polk Daniels Lake no more?

If so, I guess someone really did not know about the significance of Thomas E. Thompson.

Teresa

It is Polk Daniels Lake.. I still call it the Howard Lake..

( Kinda like I still call the Busby Road .. The Busby Road).. ;D

See?? I'm hopeless.. I do not know any of the road names... but I can get you anywhere you want to go anyway.. LOL

((Limestone.. Kjell just told me it is Limestone Road..  ::)

((((mumbling))))... but its still Busby Road to me.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

I never knew it as Limestone Road either. It was just the way we went to get to Uncle Bill's (Billy's) and my grandparents house. I still haven't figured out for sure where the eagle's head is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk