Howard Lake Construction, 1935

Started by W. Gray, March 01, 2010, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 08, 2010, 01:38:09 PM
I never knew it as Limestone Road either. It was just the way we went to get to Uncle Bill's (Billy's) and my grandparents house. I still haven't figured out for sure where the eagle's head is.
Diane, it was not even close to the way to Billy Denton's, in fact it was totally the opposite direction. The Busby (Limestone)Road is North of Howard and goes East, Billy Denton's was straight West of Howard on Limestone.

It is not the eagle's head it is the Eaglehead and it was West and South from Billy Denton's

Ms Bear

What is the Eaglehead?  A rock formation, maybe?

Diane Amberg

Thanks Frank. I didn't even know Limestone Road had an east side. Shows how little I know.

Diane Amberg

That further west part of Limestone road must go at a sort of diagonal across the low water crossing? I've never been any further out than right at the intersection or up the hill.The water was always a bit too high for me to want to risk it. Ms.Bear, the Eaglehead must be a secret still or something; they don't talk about it!  ;D :angel:

Wilma

Limestone goes to Road Seven, I think it is.  Then it either ends or goes south on 7 across the creek and turns west again.  I have never been across the crossing either, so I don't know.  We always turn north to go to the lease.

Janet Harrington

Limestone ends at Road 7 because there isn't any other road after that through the Flint Hills.  Road 7 goes north and south.  If you go south across the low water bridge, you travel for a mile to Killdeer I think.  I am not sure how Eagle Head got its name but it is the hill north of Grenola.

Diane Amberg

Janet, I think now that you mention it there is a road seven sign at the intersection. Unless I am totally lost, if you go hard left across the low water crossing it goes on a little way and then up quite a steep hill through some woods. My grandparents place was up there, gone now, but the cistern is still there. If you go on up, it stops 'way up on top and there is still a pumping jack and a machinery shed. And a beautiful view across the country. I don't remember any other real roads but maybe a couple of farm tracks here and there. If we every come out again, I'll have to look and pay attention. (When we were there in 08 you all were still flooded so we didn't do anything daring for fear of getting stuck and being left for the coyotes.) As it is I understand there is a price on my head, so we better stay home.

Judy Harder

LOL, just remember you come into our territory, you pick a side to be on. Than hunker down
Someone will be gunnin for you...........LOL. right now everyone is too busy catching up after all
the rain this time. Hay season is here and ranch work is NEVER done. Just ask the guys at the coffee
shop............You know if they would stop with the coffee and the gossip, they just might get more
done...........Ya Think?
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Ms Bear

Sounds like every farming community I have been in.  My husband used to say that if they did as much actual work as they talked about doing we would all be rich.

W. Gray

Clear Creek Cemetery in section 33 fronts on the north south 7 Road. First section road south is the east to west Limestone Road. The low water bridge is at that funny looking jog intersection at 7 Road and Limestone showing Clear Creek running through it.

Limestone seems to be that short strip that continues further west for a little over one mile and then comes to an end. I think the Harrison's live on that stretch and someone may live further west of them.

The Clear Creek Cemetery covers a lot of terrain but I understand there was once a church there also.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk