Internet Speed~~ Whats yours?

Started by Teresa, February 17, 2010, 11:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

Wimps

A ping is like a sonar sound test.  When you send a message or file to another computer, your computer sends a ping to determine if the target computer can be contacted and return a message to you.  The amount of time for a round trip ping is measured in millliseconds.  Therefore, my particular ping is 12 Ms, meaning it takes 10 milliseconds for the sound test ping to reach the target computer and return to mine.  The bigger the ping size, the longer it takes to make the round trip.  Pings can change depending on the computer being contacted.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

pepelect

Wimps?  I would trade a couple of wild fires and a small earthquake with some subprime housing damaged for 10Mg/s increase in speed. 

We still have pony express internet services in Kansas. The signal has to get from stable to stable.

We get 3G March 1 in elk county area.  The rest of the country already has 4g.   

larryJ

Diane, I made another typo (getting older by the day).  My ping listed is 12, which means it takes 12 Milliseconds for the ping to reach a computer and return to mine.  

Think of a submarine sending out sonar pings.  Once the ping hits another sub, it is reflected back to the oringinating sub.  This lets the originating sub know how far away the other sub is.  In effect, the computer you are using sends a "electronic ping" to the computer that has the files or person you want to contact.  Once that ping finds the other computer, it is reflected back to you.  With today's computer speeds, this doesn't mean much to the average computer user because it is instantaneous.  If you ever get the message, "web page cannot be found" means the ping didn't find the computer and therefore no connection can be made.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

I figured it was a typo but since it didn't create something funny I didn't bother with it.

Leonardcrl

I know this thread died some time ago but out of curiosity I ran it on my self.

This is in San Antonio burbs on Time Warner Cable, with Premium Internet charges.  You folks out in the sticks
on SKT are whomping my tail.   Cousin Larry you can just go off somewhere and brag!.  Meantime I'm going to have a discussion with TWC.

Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

srkruzich

3.22/.37  is my speed sktc. here in piedmont
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

mtcookson

Will be getting this at home soon as well ;D

You know what's sad though? For maybe $15 more than you pay for SKT's 12 Mb/s connection, in Japan you could have a 1 gigabit per second fiber optic connection (that's download AND upload if I remember correctly)... :o

That's 1000 times faster than a 1 Mb/s connection and nearly 100 times faster than our current connection... vs 56k? 17,857 times faster... and that's if you were actually downloading at 56k, it will probably be quite a bit less. We are so behind the times. :D

Roma Jean Turner

Who is your best wireless phone provider there.  Att says they don't have towers in Elk Co.

mtcookson

SKT is now the best. They have a ton of new towers up around here and service is awesome. US Cellular used to be the only good option but the SKT service is even better with all of the towers, I'm very pleased with my coverage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk