What Have You Saved Today?

Started by Wilma, February 14, 2010, 10:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

I save all the five dollar bills I get and they go into a savings account for vacation and christmas.

W. Gray

Greatguns, my wife wants all the fives I come into contact with. :)

Ms Bear, I have the same tendency not to spend my change. Nevertheless, I still have not come across a Hawaii quarter.

Sixdogsmon, Maybe, next trip, I will check with the Howard State and see if they will hopper and wrap coins and give the equivalent in bills to a non-customer.  Knowing how some banks work, maybe not. If they need change, though, that might be a different story.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

I too will break a bill rather than spend my change. The Brownies go in one jug, the silvers in a gallon Vodka jug. Takes about 2 years to fill the jug and amounts to around $600 when cased in---not counting the pocket lint.

W. Gray

Jarhead,

We may be the only ones to appreciate something like this but this is a railroad crossing piggy bank that stands about four feet high.

There is also a 55 inch parking meter bank available with the cylindrical post supporting the meter head made of clear plastic.

I have threatened to buy both at one time or another but decided jars were still the best way to collect coins.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

When my first granddaughter was born, we decided to save our change and later on, had her help with separating the coins and then we would roll them and put them into a savings account to be used just for her.  We would buy toys or necessities with money from that account.  She is not so much interested in doing that anymore, but we still save our change and roll it and put it into that account.

As far as machines--------------Many of our local supermarkets have change counting machines, located right next to the lottery ticket machines, that count your change and give you a receipt which you take to the grocery checker and she redeems the money for you.  I have not personally tried this, but I think the machine computes a "fee" for this service and deducts it from the change you put in.  I will have to check this out.

Like many of you, though, aside from saving change for my granddaughter, I would rather break a bill than pull out change unless it is something like $4.10, then I will look for a dime rather than have the cashier count out ninety cents in change.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Wilma

I have once again found a use for the cardboard tubes that I save.  I have just used two of them to make a prototype.  You might ask, "What kind of a prototype can be made from cardboard tubes?"  And you would be right to ask.  So I will tell you.  Didn't think I started this just to leave you wondering, did you?

I have a whirligig that I wanted to put outside.  This whirligig does not have a swivel head so it would not turn itself to face the wind.  But I put it out anyway.  I taped it to a shepherd's crook and at least it would whirl, but I wanted it to turn, too.  So, I took two of my precious cardboard tubes, taped them together to make them long enough to hold the rod of the whirligig.  Then the bottom of the tube had to be blocked so that the whirligig would not slip down.  Now, I have a tube with a closed bottom.  I removed the whirligig from the hook, taped the tube to the shepherd's hook, inserted the whirli into the tube and VOILA!, it worked.  Now, I have a cardboard prototype outside in the weather, which is threatening to rain.  As soon as I can, I will get some pipe of the right diameter, put a cap on the bottom of it, drill a hole in the cap so it will drain and replace the cardboard tube, if it is still there.  Did I do good or what?

sixdogsmom

Wilma, old Ben Franklin would have been proud.  :D
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk