Commencement Class of 1934 part 1

Started by John, February 17, 2010, 01:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

This is my 5th try to get this on.  There are 4 pages so bear with me.  It is a Commencement for the Elk County Schools, Class of 1934, page 2 is the program, page 3 is the Common School Graduates of Rural Pupils, page 4 is the Grade Pupils from Elk Falls, Moline, Longton and Howard Grade Schools

Dee Gee

Keep trying John, I would interested in seeing them.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

W. Gray

Okay, here is the program posted for John.

Lots of recognizable last names here.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

patyrn

This looks like the 8th grade graduation groups from all over Elk County.  I didn't ever know they all had their ceremonies combined.  That must have been a big occasion in those days, especially for the rural school students. 

frawin

Karen, when I graduated from the 8th grade in 1954, they were still bringing the Rural Grade School pupils into Howard to Graduate. That year the Pupils from  Pleasant Hill, Upola, Upper Paw Paw, Flint Hills and Union Center came in and graduated with us. There were only 10 total from that list of Rural schools. In fact that is the first time I met my wife who came in from Upper Paw Paw then went to Severy to High School.
Frank

Dee Gee

When I graduated from Farmington in 1956, all the rural students in Greenwood County gathered at the County Court house to Graduation. Which at that time it did seem like a big production.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

frawin

Upper Paw Paw closed after the 1963 school year and Part of the district consolidated with Severy and part with Howard. The last teacher was Emalin Leonard, who incidentally was my 4th grade teacher at Howard in 1949-50. I think most if not all of the Rural schools were closed in the Howard area in 1963.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk