Surprised

Started by Janet Harrington, February 08, 2010, 11:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Now, I could be wrong, but I believe that the 13th Judicial District of which Elk County is part of pays for a courtroom security officer or officers to take care of security in the Butler County Judicial Center.  They have a new judicial center and I haven't been there, so I don't know how they do it now.  When the courtrooms were where the sheriff's office was, they had officers from the sheriff's office do courtroom duty and I think that the judicial district paid for that.  I don't know how it is handled in the Greenwood County District Court.  Maybe someone with more knowlege than myself can give us some answers.  Also, why don't we know how much this security system cost us, the taxpayers of Elk County??????

Varmit

I don't think this was a very well thought out plan.  All it is is the appearence of security without it actually being there.  If a person wanted to, all they would have to do is conceal a weapon under their coat or whatever and simply state that they were at the courthouse to pay their taxes, renew their tags, etc.  This was nothing more than a waste of money.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Varmit, for once I am inclined to agree with you.  I haven't tried the system yet, but I have to sometime this month when I go to renew my driver's license.  I am wondering how long the response time will be.  I have been in the sheriff's office when the dispatcher was not at her post and people had to wait to be buzzed in.  I am also wondering if the person monitering the doors will be one of the already employed at the sheriff's office or if he is going to have to hire someone to do it.  Seems to me that the monitoriing person will have to be at the screen constantly, without a break or get someone to cover.  Also, what is to prevent someone else from entering along with the person that is admitted?  How many people could slip in like that and the person monitoring at the sheriff's office would be unaware of?  I think that the monitor would be better in the courthouse somewhere, where someone can actually see who is coming through the door.

Wilma

I'm back.  This has reminded me of the problems we had at the IRS building of unauthorized persons entering with an employee through the employee entrance or holding the door as an employee exited, then entering.  We were always being admonished to watch who came in with us and to not let anyone we didn't know enter the building as we were going out.

Also, I am wondering if panic buttons wouldn't serve the purpose better.  A panic button in each office that would summon the sheriff if anything suspicious occurred.  Surely there aren't enough incidents to justify the locked doors and taxpayers waiting to be permitted to enter a public bulding.

Janet Harrington

Panic buttons were supposed to have already been installed in the courtroom and the district court office.  What happened to those?  Again, what is this system costing?  I agree with Varmit.  This is not a well thought out plan.  This is a RE-ACTION just like Elk County has always done.

Sarge

Quote from: Janet Harrington on February 15, 2010, 10:52:28 PM
  This is a RE-ACTION just like Elk County has always done.

BINGO!!
It's my understanding that the dispatcher on duty will monitor the camera and let individuals in the courthouse. Don't know how true that is.  Like Janet, I'm not in the loop anymore so don't know for sure.
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

kshillbillys

I don't know how much this system cost, but is there only 1 dispatcher at the sheriff's office or is there 2? Don't they have to inspect the jail every 30 minutes? In the time that is down inspecting the jail, who is monitoring the door and letting individuals in? Who's watching to see if the door is propped open to let others in that were not buzzed in? This is above and beyond stupid! Let's spend thousands of dollars for cameras, magnetic door locks, intercom and buzzer systems and a card key pass for individuals working in the courthouse. Has anyone noticed that Montgomery County Courthouse, which I used to work at, only has this at the rear entrance; the front door is open and just a camera is used. Chautauqua County doors are open during business hours and only one door has a camera. I'm not for sure about Butler County but Arkansas City doesn't have this system, although it has cameras. I'm not for sure about Greenwood either. Of all things to spend their money on whenever someone could possibly be waiting outside the door when someone gets off work to do the same thing. In this community everyone knows everyone and possibly where they live and could meet them on their own terms and wouldn't have to meet them up at the courthouse. Where does the stupidity and nonsense stop? I just recently heard that it was mentioned that GPS was talked about being installed on county vehicles so that they would know where county vehicles were at all times. I can understand this on a sheriff's vehicle or an ambulance but I cannot understand this being put on a road and bridge dept. vehicle. What would be the initial cost and what would the monthly fee be on this? Some ideas sound good at first but turn out to be nonsense later or just an excuse. Most county employess don't receive a paper paycheck anymore. It's direct deposited to save the county money. This, I assure you, has had quite the opposite effect.

Ok, I'm through with my ranting and raving tonight.

MR. KShillbilly
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

L Hendricks

Wow - MR Ks Hillbilly - do you always publicly bash your bosses... nice... might want to check out the facts first!

L Hendricks

Oh and one more thing.  Dist 1 commissioner is up for re - election - why not put your money where your mouth is... my term is up in 2012... anyone want the job?

Wilma

Way to go, Liz.  But seriously, some of us would like to know more about this system and if anything else was considered.  As well as the courthouse employees know the public in Elk County, I don't see why panic buttons aren't sufficient.  Usually, someone bent on mischief can be spotted before anything happens.  In my experience, there is a difference in the way an innocent person conducts himself.  And I have never had any special training for spotting mischief makers, except maybe for the two years I monitored a lunch room full of Junior High students.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk