Moline Railroad Depot

Started by W. Gray, January 22, 2010, 12:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

I'm gonna answer my own question. I think I remember the Hilltop. It was about where the 99/160 junction is now wasn't it ? A place near it was called the Glasscock farm and the house burnt down. If so I still have a 2 inch pipe frame for hanging a porch swing that my Dad had made there. For some reason I've always thought that Howard Suiter(sp) was the man who welded it though.

Jo McDonald

Wasn't HillTop on the EAST side of 99 and 160?  I went there one Saturday night with my cousins, who were home from the Army,  my brother and four or five others (2 cars) and got into a heap of trouble.  My Dad pitched a fit -- I was supposed to stay all night at my Uncle Roy and Aunt Clara w/my cousins girlfriend from western Kansas. When we took my brother Jack home, Dad made me get out of the car and stay home.  I was grounded BIG TIME  I bawled for a week and am STILL mad after all these 63 years.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Jo, to me it was on the North side, the highway in front run West to Southwest towards Moline.
Dale, can you add your opinion. I think Earl and Molly McGlasson lived on the South side across from the Hilltop.
Jo, I think you are thinking of Gene's Club which was East of 99 and faced the South on 160.

Ole Granny

Yes. Do believe Glasscock's lived south across the highway from Hiltop when it was open. Not sure if Molly and Slim lived in the area at that time. Dale, was the cafe ever called Do or Dew Drop Inn? That just sticks in my mind.  Jarhead, I remember one circus being in the south part of Moline south of the railroad track in the open area.  The problem with everyone's memory of the landscape is the hill has shrunk.  Changed the whole area when they tore out the Half Moon bridge and re-did the highway.  Progress is what they call it but I sure miss that dangerous curve.  It did add a rustic beauty to the drive.  I even miss the old road from Severy to Beaumont.  Scary, aren't I.

Believe Gene's Club has been discussed before.  Now I am trying to remember the name of group that played there frequently.  I remember Bobby Wylie playing steel, George Hays sang and played guitar.  Joe "    "  was the name of the group.  Help.....
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Clubine Ranch

Old Hill Top was where they made the cut for the new road, which would be 160 now. Alice, I do not remember the cafe being called Dew Drop In or Dew, but there was a Dew Drop In in Moline on the east side of the street about where the New Beginnings Workshop is now. I do not remember Slim or Mollie living across from Hill Top. Roy and Thelma Glasscock lived on one side of the hyway and Joe Glasscock (Roy's dad) lived across the road.
Back to Gene's Club. When I was running around there, Dale and Thelma Wolverton ran it for awhile.
We bought Dale and Thelma's farm and it was always interesting to hear their stories of them running Gene's Club.
All good memeories. Dale

Clubine Ranch

Forgot to mention the Circus. I think there might have been a fairly small circus at Hill Top. I did not go. There was a couple held at the old rodeo grounds. There was two or three held south of Moline at the old Track and practice Football field. West of the city water plant now. South of where Slim and Mollie McGlasson lived.  :) Just wanted to make you think a little deeper :). Dale

frawin

Thanks Dale and Alice for helping this old man remember. I went by the Hilltop almost everyday and many times twice a day for 2-3 years dating girls in Moline, I guess I was thinking of other things besides the Hilltop in those days. Often times I have wished I had taken pictures of buildings and other things so I would have them today. I remember my sister and her husband having a grocery store on mainstreet of Moline but I can't remember anything about it. I do remember it was just South of the Merc when it burned, or I think that is where it was.

Jo McDonald

My description of " east side of 99"  is where the top of the hill,  what is left of it is now.  When I went it was in 1946 --- so maybe the memory hinges are a bit rusty.  lol
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Roma Jean Turner

When I was a little girl, we lived across the road from the Glasscocks.  I remember their pet quaile, called Qualie.  Whenever my mother and I came back for a visit, we would go visit the Glasscocks.  They were so kind and helpful to her, a young wife and mother.

Marcia Moore

Here is a photo of the washed-out Santa Fe Railroad bridge near Moline on Wild Cat Creek.  The photo is on a postcard postmarked Aug. 4, 1911, and the back of the card reads, "This is a picture of Wild Cat the morning after the flood.  The stone bridge was where the iron approach of RR bridge is seen to right in foreground.  Washed a lot of shale out of creek bed besides scattering the stone bridge all over the nearby alfalfa field. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk