Driver's License

Started by Wilma, January 19, 2010, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

In another thread, mention was made that no one under 18 or over 50 should have a driver's license as those age groups had the most accidents.  Now I am not taking issue with this even though I disagree with it.  My interest is in when did you get your first driver's license?

I got mine in 1946 from the editor of a small town newspaper.  He filled in the license with the information that I gave him, collected my 25 cents and I was good to go.  I didn't even know how to drive yet.  No driving test, no written test, no eye test.  I have yet to take an actual driving test.  I always pass the written exam on the first round and my vision is 20/20 so I don't even have a correctional lens thing on my license.  I have never had my license revoked, nor has it ever elapsed.  I gave up driving several years ago because I have to have someone to manage my wheelchair and purchases so they might as well do the driving, too.  Besides , I like being the passenger and able to look at everything along the way.

When did you get your first driver's license?

larryJ

I got mine in 1957 at the age of 14.  I was living in Colorado for the summer and a friend of ours taught me to drive.  However, the driving age in that state was 15 at that time, but just across the border in Wyoming, the age limit was 14 and a half.  So, our friend drove us to Laramie where I took my test in his car and passed with no problems.  Here, in California, due to the massive population, the DMV usually just sends a renewal in the mail unless you have had a reported accident.  I did do some driving at age 13 while living in Wyoming, but only in the lumber camp where I lived.  There was no local law enforcement there.  I not only drove cars, but dump trucks, snow plows and motorcycles.  I have taken maybe two drivers tests since then. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Permit and license in PA. at age 16 (1961) after Drivers Ed. Did have written and road test. Eye test every 5 years after that.

Rudy Taylor

Got my restricted license at 14 and started driving everywhere immediately.

Really dumb, too.

I remember driving my dad's car 110 m.p.h. at the age of 14.

Can't believe I was that stupid.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

jensarlou

Believe it or not I did't get my 1st license till I was 18.  I grew up in New Orleans and even back then traffic was awful so the parents thought I needed more time.  I kind of agreed with them and made Jenepher and Sarah wait till almost 18 for theirs as well.  Jen got her 1st there in Howard and Sarah down here in Fl.
Andrea

Janet Harrington

I don't remember.  Oh yeah I do.  I got my permit when I turned 14 and was taking driver's ed from Mr. Shephard at Severy High School.  That man had us drive everything.  A school bus, some kind of a car that you shifted by pressing down on the foot feed then letting up, if my memory is correct.

I have never failed a driver's written test and the only driving test I ever took was in driver's ed.  Once I got my license, I drove all the time.  My grandparents on both sides used me as their driver alot.  My Grandpa Hancock said that I was one of the best driver's he had ever ridden with and my Grandpa Furrow told me that he trusted my driving more then he did one of my male cousins.

I am a good driver and plan to stay driving until Zimmerman's put me in the ground.  LOL

larryJ

I will confess this because the statute of limitations has run out long ago.  I got into a drag race with some kid from Howard with an old ford against my '58 Chevy.  We raced ------well, his car quit somewhere along the road-------all the way to Severy.  I made it to Severy in less than ten minutes and scared the heck out of my girlfriend.  The word got around Howard and nobody challenged me to a drag anymore that summer. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Wilma

Janet forgot to tell you about the '64 Ford Galaxie that she claimed could out run any other car on the road.  It had dual mufflers, I think it was, and when you revved it, it sounded like a hundred horses pounding down the road.  I don't know if she ever had to prove her claim because she has never admitted to that.

Judy Harder

Much to my mother's dismay, I did take drivers training and did pass all my tests.....Dad took me to get my liscense and when
I got home, Mom still wouldn't  let me drive the car with her in it. She was such a fearful lady........and thank goodness that when dad and I went somewhere by ourselves, errands and such, he let me drive.

I learned on a standard and altho I haven't driven any buses or large trucks. I did drive one of our firetrucks to a brush fire and except that I am older and my reflexes aren't as good. Still think I am a fair driver.

Oh, I was 17 when I graduated. I think (not sure) that was the year I took drivers ed. Knowing mom, that was cause she had to let me.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

W. Gray

Larry,

Wonder how fast you could have made it to Severy if K-99 was in as good a shape then as it is now? The last mile along the old K-99, though, might slow you down.

I started driving at age 14. My dad and I always drove to the country to buy eggs on a Sunday and one day he pulled over on the shoulder and asked if I wanted to drive. I did not. I was scared to death. Had not even ever thought of driving. But I did not tell him that. Over a number of Sundays I gradually took over driving all the way to the country and back. No license, no restricted permit, and no learners permit.

Took the written test and drivers test on my Birthday but received a scolding from the state patrol officer administering the drivers test. I thought I did rather good. I came away with the opinion that his speech was reserved for anyone who was 16.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk