Kellogg Freeway

Started by W. Gray, September 13, 2009, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

I grew up just three blocks SE of the West St, Kellogg intersection. I think it was about 1951 when they started construction on Kellogg; supposed to be the absolute 'end' in highway construction. That did away with the old Maple Street Cannonball 54 highway going west out of Wichita. If I remember correctly the original plans had a 'flyover' the downtown area. It was only after many painful city commission meetings that the 'throughway' ended up coming to a stop at several downtown streets, lest the merchants should lose some revenue. This lasted until the second before last renovation of Kellogg; I suspect that it will never be completed. BTW, the construction of Kellogg through my neighborhood brought to an end the visits of the little carnivals that used to set up at the field on McCormick Ave. It also stopped the tent meetings that used to set up there. I never got to attend either one, but listened to many tales about them in the school yard. The stories were probably worse that the actual events. Lol!  ;D
Edie

Tobina+1

Well, it's a tough situation since Kellogg is the only East/West thoroughfare that goes completely through Wichita... and it's also where most of the business have set up shop.  Catch 22 situation... if they didn't make it easy to travel straight through Wichita from East to West, then no one would do it... and the businesses wouldn't get any business.

I don't know how many miles Kellogg is from East to West, but I would imagine it would take a long time to complete it all.

I was in Wichita yesterday on Kellogg right at 5:00 and I didn't think it was too bad.  A little slow around the Rock Rd intersection, but flowed fine.  Then again, I drove in downtown KC for 4 years, so my idea of "not bad" may be someone else's nightmare.  Most of the traffic subsides by Andover.  I would say the worst part isn't even in the construction area... it's East of I-35 overpass... between where the construction starts/ends and Walmart/Lowes area.  I assume they will eventually get a flyover/under in that area, too?

W. Gray

The article I read indicated the Kellogg Freeway would eventually go to the Butler County line.

It looks like Butler County starts about two miles east of the K-96 bridge and about one mile before Andover.

If KDOT were to push the freeway all the way to the railroad bridges on the east side of Augusta, that would be fine with me.  That would also help with I-66, if there will ever be one in Kansas.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

So, that puts the new freeway going to about where the stoplight is between Andover and K-96... I think they just put up a new QT store there.  That'd be handy!  If Andover continues to grow, though, they may have to do a flyover at that main intersection, too.

I-66?  Where would that go?  I thought a while back they were talking about putting a new interstate that runs NW from Wichita, meeting I-70 around Hays or so?  Talk about HANDY DANDY.  That'd cut our trip to my parents' by at least 1-1/2 hours, I'd imagine!

W. Gray

In the early 1990s, Wichita businessmen heavily lobbied Congress for an east-west Interstate running through Wichita and going from Washington DC to California.

I-66 was the result and it is now being built in Va and Kentucky. The folks in Va have run into environmental opposition. Kentucky appears to be running ahead to get the new interstate to the southeast Missouri line.

It was supposed to parallel I-44 in Mo and then split off and follow US 400 into Wichita and then head west through Colorado.

Since it was initially proposed all the states west of Kansas have shown no interest. And, it was supposed to go through Death Valley to which the National Parks objected.

There was some thought about the upgraded US 400 being a consolation prize for Wichita. Another thought was that the upgrade is the prelude to I-66.

There seems to be some other talk about I-66 going further south and missing Kansas altogether.

A background is at

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-066.html
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Earlier this week, I went under Rock Road, on the Kellogg Freeway, for the first time.

They have spent a good amount of money on niceties for Kellogg.

As I was passing under Rock Road, the bottom of the six or eight lane bridge looked like I could have been looking at someone's living room or family room ceiling complete with lighting.

Teresa

Its faster than greased lightening to get across town.. I love it.. but I'm glad I don't have a business on that route.. I think it pretty much closed them off for the "drop in while going by"...
In the airport right now waiting to board a plane and they have the airport all torn up.. Don't know exactly what they are doing.. but whatever it is.. looks like it will be major..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk