House Fire In Longton

Started by sixdogsmom, January 15, 2010, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

So if the owner burns it down not with the intent to collect insurance but to avoid taxes then its not arson?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

I'm not there of course, but here its not arson if it's a derelict building and the owner got a permit to burn it. Sometimes it is given to us for drill purposes. That's harder to do now because of air quality issues.

kshillbillys

I was there at that fire that night. The only utility on was electricity to the meter but not to the house. Windows and anything of any value had already been removed from the house, leaving just a shell. It's my understanding that the EPA do not want houses being burned, sometimes they could be for training purposes, but that was not the case for this one. It had asbestos siding still on the house, which you're not supposed to burn.

And Billy...refresh my memory if it was not this last summer that painted on the north side of that house, facing the highway, there was some rude comments on there about the tax appraisor.

MR.
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Varmit

Yeah there was.  I don't remember exaxct wording but something to the effect of "stop cheating the people" or something like that.  Can't say I blame them, I don't have much use for tax appraisers myself.  In my opinion, if the owner did burn it down, its their house they should be able to do whatever they want with it.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

twirldoggy

As long as there is no insurance there is no crime.  There would be liability if firefighters are dispatched.

Diane Amberg

So if the people who live next door to me want to damage my house as they burn their own down that's OK? NOT! >:(

Wilma

If they set fire to your house while burning theirs, would that be arson?

sixdogsmom

Wiki has this defenition; Arson

The crime of maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully setting fire to the building, buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purpose, as to collect insurance.

Now, the next question might be, what is another improper purpose?
Edie

Diane Amberg

Another would be trying to hide a crime...homicide.It doesn't work.

Janet Harrington

It is not arson if you burn it to keep from paying taxes. 

Here is what the criminal code for Kansas says about arson:

21-3718
Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT
Article 37.--CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
      21-3718.   Arson. (a) Arson is: (1) Knowingly, by means of fire or explosive:

(A)   Damaging any building or property which is a dwelling in which another person has any interest without the consent of such other person;

(B)   damaging any building or property which is a dwelling with intent to injure or defraud an insurer or lienholder;

(C)   damaging any building or property which is not a dwelling in which another person has any interest without the consent of such other person; or

(D)   damaging any building or property which is not a dwelling with intent to injure or defraud an insurer or lienholder;

(2)   accidentally, by means of fire or explosive as a result of manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled substance in violation of K.S.A. 65-4159, and amendments thereto, damaging any building or property which is a dwelling; or

(3)   accidentally, by means of fire or explosive as a result of manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled substance in violation of K.S.A. 65-4159, and amendments thereto, damaging any building or property which is not a dwelling.

(b) (1)   Arson, as described in subsection (a)(1)(A) or (a)(1)(B), is a severity level 6, person felony.

(2)   Arson, as described in subsection (a)(1)(C), (a)(1)(D) or (a)(3), is a severity level 7, nonperson felony.

(3)   Arson, as described in subsection (a)(2), is a severity level 7, person felony.

History:   L. 1969, ch. 180, § 21-3718; L. 1992, ch. 239, § 117; L. 1993, ch. 291, § 76; L. 1994, ch. 291, § 29; L. 2000, ch. 181, § 6; L. 2002, ch. 155, § 1; July 1.

Now it gives you the penalties, but I'm not going to explain the levels and stuff.  Anyway, there it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk