Elk County made the Channel 12 news tonight...

Started by Catwoman, January 22, 2010, 06:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momof 2boys

I agree that it totally stinks that we must close the grade schools!  I attended Severy Grade School from K-6, and I have taught at Moline for 11 years.  It breaks my heart that I must leave my classroom for a modular, but if that is what I must do to keep our  school district alive financially then so be it.  Of the few options our district has, this is the only one that ensures that our students Pre-K through 12 get the best education we have to offer.  Yes, we could keep one school open and slash vo-ag, sports, and the curriculum to the bare minimum.   That might keep us afloat financially for a year or two, but then we will be back to where we are now and to what benefit to our students? 

I made a promise to myself awhile back, that no matter what happens I am going to remain positive and do whatever I can to ensure that my students get the best of me and what I have to offer.

lola330

People will not changer their minds regarding this issue. This school district is not the only one having to rethink their structure to work within the budget constraints.  The past school board bears as much responsiblity in this matter as the current school board.  Mr. Reese is a sitting duck.  Other people have been in the position to make changes etc and declined to do so.

How can you think it is cheaper to run and staff 3 cafeterias?  More students are not being fed.  The same number will be fed in one cafeteria by less staff.  

Maybe some of you don't realize this, but more of the students receive free lunch than pay for it.  And furthermore, many students take food home on the weekends in their backpacks from the food pantry.  I doubt many of those children's parents would pack them a lunch.  Sometimes the only hot meal a child gets is at school.  There are children who get to school hungry every day.  There are many reasons for this situation, but it exists none the less.

Uninformed people should not pass judgement on professional teachers and therapists.  Every one of the people I have known who work w/special ed have children's best interests at heart.  If you know of someone who tests children just to label them special ed to get more special ed money, why don't you just name them?  It is just crappy to sling that kind of mud, and perhaps what you smell is closer to home.

I don't know if I'm "in" or "out" and I don't really care.  It's easy to be part of the problem.  I'm plainly asking, if anyone has an informed opinion or a reasonable solution, spit it out.  

A

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk