HARLAN, Guyla Ann (O'Neal) - b. August 2, 1939 - d. January 10, 2010

Started by patyrn, January 15, 2010, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Guyla Ann (O'Neal) Harlan of Independence, Kansas, 70, died Sunday, January 10, 2010 at St. Francis Via Chisti in Wichita, Kansas.  Guyla was born August 2, 1939  in Howard, Kansas to Melvin and Dorothy (Allen) O'Neal.

She grew up in the Independence, Kansas area and attended the Independence School System.  On June 16, 1961, Guyla married Clint Harlan in Kansas City, Missouri.  The couple made their home in the Wichita, Kansas area.  Guyla worked for Cessna Aircraft for 37 years as a seamstress.  After retirement, the couple moved back to Independence in 2002.  Guyla was a member of the Community Christian Church and a lifetime member of the VFW Ladies Auxiliary.

Survivors include her husband, Clint, of the home; son, Greg and wife Sherri Harlan of Belle Plaine, Kansas; brother, Dale Fischer of Longton, Kansas; sister Gail and husband John Lawrence of LaFontaine, Kansas; grandchildren, Jared Haran, Baylee Harlan, Lucas Krug, and Lane Krug; and great-grandchildren, Juliette Harlan, Sawyer Bleakley, Brian Head, and Emily Head.  She was preceded in death by her father, Melvin O'Neal; her mother, Dorothy O'Neal; and two brothers, Leonard and Gary.

Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. Friday, January 15, 2010 at the Potts Chapel in Independence, Kansas with the Reverend Steve Butler of the Community Christian Church officiating.  Burial will follow in the Mount Hope Cemetery under the direction of the Potts Chapel.  The family has suggested memorials to the Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice, c/o Potts Chapel, 122 S. Penn Ave., Independence, Kansas 67301.

(taken from the Wichita Eagle website)

Wilma

Thank you, Patryn.  Guyla was a cousin to my husband and Winifred Heisler of Howard.  The family will really miss her.  And thank you for doing this.  As far as I am concerned you are doing a real service to this community.  Sometimes this is the only way I hear about a death.

frawin

Karen I agree with Wilma, we really appreciate the effort you put into this. I went to grade school in Howard with Guyla and her Brother Leonard, they were in my sister Shirley's class. Guyla and Leonard spent a lot of time at Rex and Marge Armstrongs and I did to so I got well acquainted with them. Leonard remained a friend throughout his life, when he was in grade school he sat at the Movies with my sister, and I used to tease them both about it. Both Guyla and Leonard were always smiling and had a great outlook on life. Guyla was a very pretty girl. I have Grade school pictures of Leonard and Guyla, I found the one of Leonard this morning but I haven't located the one of Guyla, she always had long hair and pretty hairdo.
The more I think about this, I think Guyla and Leonard went to School in Longton after they left Howard, in fact I think they may have graduated from High School in Longton.

Bonnie M.

Leonard graduated from Longton High School in 1955, I think it was.  Guyla did attend school in Longton, but moved away before she graduated from High School in Longton.  They were both "cute kids!"  

And, I certainly do agree with Wilma and Frank that I appreciate "Patyrn" for posting the Obituaries.  Thank you!
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk