Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

APRIL 23

Joy or Sadness—You May Choose

"In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him." 1 John 4:9

In his book You Can Have Joy! Arnold Prater wrote about an Englishman named John Deckard who had an award-winning passion for roses.

One year, John grew a rose among roses to enter in the annual Garden Show. But before he got the rose, his son rushed in and exclaimed, "Daddy, look what I have for you!" And in his little hand was the prize rose. Visitors to the Garden Show were astonished when they saw John's entry. For in the flowerpot was a photo of his son with the rose in his hands, along with an honorary blue ribbon.

Sometimes your plans may go awry, and sometimes your dreams may be crushed. But in their place, God sends His own Son, Jesus. And when that happens, nothing else matters but the love of His Son.

What disappointment have you experienced this week? Did you choose joy or sadness? What can you learn from today's devotional thought to apply to your life the next time a disappointment happens?

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 24

The Secret of Joy and Contentment

"And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams." - 1 Samuel 15:22

Joy and obedience are intrinsically linked together. When you learn to obey the Lord, you will have the joy of the Lord. It's like the hymn written by John Sammis: "Trust and obey, for there's no other way, To be happy with Jesus, but to trust and obey."

Trust and obedience are the two hands that lay hold of the promises of God. They are the two feet that keep you walking on the King's highway. They are the two ears that enable you to hear the Truth of God's Word.

Do you want to know the sweet joy and contentment that Paul had in the depths of a Roman prison and that Corrie Ten Boom had in the dark confines of a Nazi prison camp? Then trust and obey.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 25

"Salvation" by Being a Good Person?

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." Romans 10:4

The world thinks that sin is being bad and righteousness is being good. They say, "If I am just a good person, then I will go to heaven." God seems like a Santa Claus, making a list and checking it twice, trying to find out if we are naughty or nice. That is just not so.

Righteousness lies only in Jesus Christ. He left heaven, came to earth, lived a perfect, righteous life. Then He suffered, bled, and died on a cross to atone for our sins. He was buried and raised to life by the power of God and has ascended into glory. His blood was applied to the mercy seat of God. That is righteousness.

Galatians 2:21 tells us, "If righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." Do you know what that means? If you could be saved by being good, then Calvary was a blunder. If there were some other way for you to be saved, God would not have let His Son die upon a cross.

Are you depending on your own good works to "get you into heaven"? What will enable you to stand before a holy God? "Not by worksof righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" Titus 3:5

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 26

Who Are You When No One Else is Around?

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12

"While I'm gone, I want you to be on your best behavior." Has someone ever said that to you? This is what Paul means when he gives us the directive to work out our salvation even when he is not around.

A pastor is successful when he trains his flock to love the Lord, share their faith, and minister to others when no one else is looking. It is the true test of a person's walk with God.

What happens when you are alone on a business trip and there are free movies in your motel room? How fast do you drive when the speed limit says 35 and you are late for a meeting? How much money do you leave for a tip when there is no one to impress?

When was the last time you did something nice for someone who could never pay you back, from whom you had nothing to gain, and no one would ever know about it? Do you talk the talk or do you walk the walk?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 27

Saved by Faith but Rewarded by Works

"If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." 1 Corinthians 3:14-15

I believe salvation is attained by grace through faith. That's not Baptist rhetoric. That's Biblical doctrine. But do you know what some people do with that?

They say, "Hot dog! I don't have to do a thing to be saved. I can just get in the top berth of a Pullman car and glide along until we pull into the New Jerusalem." You know, just catch the next sleeper car to glory.

These people don't like the idea that as Christians we are all going to stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ. And we are all going to give an account for how we used our time, our resources, and our faith.

We are not saved by works, but we are rewarded by works. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10

Read Romans 14:10-12. How do you plan to spend your day knowing this truth?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 28

Running Your Race Without Distraction

"I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 3:14

Runners train themselves to be focused on one thing – the finish line. They have one desire, and they are not going to let what is going on in the stands or who is lagging behind distract them.

Paul had the same sense. He, too, believed that you could not win a race by looking over your shoulder or glancing to the right or the left. You can't see what is ahead when you've got your headlights on the rear bumper.

Paul forgot his past glory, past mistakes, past grief, past everything. Paul refused to let his past keep him from reaching his goal. What are you doing in your race to claim the prize of a closer walk with God? Take a few minutes over the next couple of days to reflect upon what Jesus Christ did for you on the Cross. In light of that, analyze how you are running your race. What changes do you want to make to better run the race?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 29

"Pain Is Inevitable, But Misery Is Optional"

"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into diverse temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." James 1:2-3

James 1:2 is an interesting verse because it has the phrase "when" instead of "if." You see, some people think that life is going to be all rose petals and sunlight. If I told you that, I would be speaking from a closed Bible and an empty head.

Whether you are saved or lost, life guarantees one thing – difficulty. Someone once wrote, "Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional." There will be trials, oppression, and misunderstandings. And when you become a Christian, you do not become immune to these things.

Trials are a part of life, but how Christians behave in response is what causes an unbelieving world to sit up and take notice.

How are you responding this week to the difficulties in your life? Thankful for the opportunity to learn patience? Or resentful for every speed bump your vehicle of life has to pass over? You can tell the size of a Christian by what it takes to stop him.

Open yourself up to accountability on this issue. If you are married, ask your spouse to answer these questions. If you are single, ask a trusted friend: "How would you rate the way I have responded to trials in my life this year on a scale of 1-10? 'One' means I've been thankful for the opportunity to learn patience, and '10' means I've been resentful for every speed bump my vehicle of life had to pass over." Did you learn anything new about yourself, anything you need to work on?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

APRIL 30

Knowing His Ways

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." 1 John 4:8

Wisdom is not gained by seeing the works of God. It is gained in knowing the ways of God. When the Israelites were wandering in the desert, they could only see the works of God. But God allowed Moses to see His ways.

The Israelites were infatuated with God at first. But when troubles came, their love affair with God quickly died out. They began to murmur and complain. Moses saw the wilderness from God's perspective, however, and approached God in humility and honor. As a result, God taught him to lead His people out of darkness into light.

Do you know the ways of God? Have you learned to see life from His point of view? Or are you still trusting in your view of life to get you through the hard times? Bow before God and ask Him to ignite a vision for His glory, a bold desire to lead the lost to Him, and an unconditional passion to love Him.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 1

Who Owns You?

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for He hath visited and redeemed His people." Luke 1:68

Fanny Crosby wrote, "Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it! Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb; Redeemed through His infinite mercy, His child and forever I am." Do you love to proclaim it? Oh, how I pray you do.

Isaac Watts wrote, "Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small: Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all." Have you given your soul, your life, your all to this Amazing Love?

Jesus did not bathe this planet with His blood to have you serve the world, the flesh, and the devil. He died to make you holy. You are not your own. First Corinthians 6:20 says, "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 2

Holy or Just "Holier Than Thou"?

"For I am the Lord your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." - Leviticus 11:44

Some people think that to be holy means to be odd. No, we're to be different. We have too many Christians doing unbiblical things who claim to be holy when in reality they are just odd.

Holiness is not achieved by what we wear, where we sleep and eat, or how many spiritual things we do. It is not primarily a matter of dress or style of hair. And we don't become holy if we live in a commune, monastery, or convent. There is no holiness in a hole.

God makes us holy by the blood of His Son. And in return for this great love, we endeavor to live holy lives because we love Him. "Holy" is a state of being, not doing. It is a God-induced, God-developed character trait that grows in us as we grow in our love relationship with God.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk