Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

January 20

Hammers and Chisels at Work

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the Husbandman. Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit." John 15:1-2

When Solomon built his temple, he employed eighty thousand stonecutters. They chipped and shaped those stones in the quarry before bringing them to the temple mound. Why? Because Solomon didn't want the sound of the hammers and chisels heard on the temple mound.

In the same way, you are part of the living stones of His temple and God is shaping you here in the "quarry" of earth. Part of your shaping is in the form of persecution. So don't look at your persecutors as enemies, but as God's stonecutters.

Next time someone reviles you say, "Thank God, another stonecutter." God is shaping you to be what you ought to be.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 21

His Safety Deposit Box

"Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator." 1 Peter 4:19

Here are three reactions you need to have when you encounter suffering. First, you are to rejoice in what God is allowing to happen. (see 1 Peter 4:13)  Second, you need to review your life (see 1 Peter 4:17-18). Am I suffering because of something I have done? If the Holy Spirit convicts you that your suffering is a result of your sin, then you need to repent.

Third, when you review your life and discover that your suffering is for the cause of Christ, then simply rely on Him (see 1 Peter 4:19). It is not your problem. It is His problem.

In 1 Peter 4:19 we see the word "commit." That is a banking term. It means to deposit something of value with someone else, to keep it safe. He will take care of you. You can bank on it.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 22

Promoted from Guilt to Righteousness

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." Romans 4:5

Justification is God's act whereby He declares those who have trusted in Christ to be as righteous as His Son is righteous. Salvation is not based on our works.

Do you know what God sees when He looks at me today? He sees Jesus Christ. You may be thinking, "That's arrogant, Adrian."

No, it's not. It's the Bible. I am in Christ and therefore God cannot see my sins (see 1 Corinthians 1:30). He only sees the righteousness of His Son.

Justification is more than just a pardon, it is a promotion. God doesn't just forgive our sins, He makes us righteous. Only God can take someone who is guilty and give that person righteousness. It is the saving work of God. What is the basis of our justification? His grace.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Complete Payment for Your Sin

"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." Romans 3:25

Propitiation is a big word that means satisfaction. Because God is a holy God, His anger and justice burns against sin. And He has sworn that sin will be punished.

There must be a satisfactory payment for sin.  But God said, "If I punish man for his sin, man will die and go to hell. On the other hand, if I don't punish man for his sin, My justice will never be satisfied."

The solution? God said that He would become our substitute. He would take the sin of mankind upon Himself in agony and blood – a righteous judgment and substitute for sin.

His wrath burned out on the cross when His only Son died as man's propitiation for sin. And this is love (see 1 John 4:10).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 24

Faithfulness, Not Miracles

"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing." Matthew 24:45-46

It is sinful for us to ask God to prove Himself by a miracle or sign, though I guess we have all done it.

When I was at Stetson University as a young boy having my quiet time in the prayer room, I asked God to move a chair from one side of the room to the other. I told him, "I already believe You and I don't want to insult You, but what a confirmation it would be to my heart and life if You would just do this small miracle." Isn't that dumb?

I am so glad that God didn't let the devil nudge that chair across that room and get me hooked on some kind of hocus-pocus. Jesus said that asking God for a sign, like this, is evidence of an evil, adulterous heart (see Matthew 12:39). Oh, that God would find us faithful, not looking for miracles, in all we do in His name.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 25

The Greater Miracle

"I, even I, am the Lord; and beside Me there is no Savior." Isaiah 43:11

It takes more of God's power to save a soul through the cross of Jesus than it does to do any other thing. God had no difficulty creating the universe. The Bible tells us He spoke and it was so. But when God wrote salvation's story, He went to great difficulty. Let me illustrate.

What if I held a service and had the power to straighten a cripple's legs or to bring sight to the blind? The next service would be standing room only. Now I certainly want God to heal, but let me tell you something else.

What if I held a service and a little girl walked down the aisle and gave her heart to Jesus? That is a greater miracle than opening the eyes of the blind because the Son of God had to hang on a cross in agony and blood to purchase her salvation! Jesus did not come as a great healer or teacher, He came as a Savior.

January 26

What Is Your Cross?

"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:27

The cross not only saves us, but it continues to sanctify us. Have you read where Jesus said, "Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me" (Mark 8:34b)?

Many people think that this means that our "cross" is a sickness, an unsaved spouse, or a cruel boss. However, a cross is not something that is forced upon you, over which you have no choice. A cross is something you willingly take up.

Jesus willingly laid down His life. He calls us to do the same. Your cross is when you willingly die to yourself. You do this by saying no to sin and self, and yes to Christ.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 27

A Defense Attorney Has Been Appointed For You

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1

The way to deal with your sins is for you to confess – that means, you are to begin by agreeing with God as to what He says about your sin. You need to also confidently deal with your sin. Now, what do I mean by that?

You have your own attorney when you go into the judge's chambers for adjudication. According to God's Word, you have an Advocate, which is another name for attorney.

The devil is the prosecuting attorney who points the accusing finger at us, and says, "Look at him!" And Jesus, the defense attorney, stands by our side and says, "But Father, look at Me. I shed My blood for him." Because Jesus died, our debt is paid. Hallelujah! Though our sins are as scarlet, He will wash them white as snow!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 28

The Infinite God Allows Us to Know Him

"All things are delivered unto Me of My Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal Him." Matthew 11:27

When God condescends Himself to make Himself known to us, the Bible calls that "revelation." The Infinite reveals Himself to the finite. Now, what is the agent in this revelation? The Holy Spirit because only the Holy Spirit knows the mind of God and searches the deep things of God.

You and I cannot know God apart from the Holy Spirit revealing Him to us. Isaiah 55:9 says, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

Even in the human realm, the only way you and I know anything about each other is when we reveal ourselves to one another. And the only way that man will ever know God is for God to reveal Himself. Praise God that He has chosen to do that!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 29

Hungering for God

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matthew 5:6

When Jesus said that the one who hungers and thirsts for righteousness will be blessed, He was not talking about someone who had a mere appetite, He was talking about a starving man.

God made us in such a way that we couldn't exist long without food. What is a starving man interested in? The latest football scores? The flower arrangement at the pink lemonade society? The number of stars in the universe? No! He's only interested in one thing – food!

In fact, I did some research and discovered that a man can exist about forty days without food, about three days without water, and only eight minutes without air. In the spiritual realm of eternity, man cannot exist one second without Jesus Christ.

May God help us narrow our focus to the glory of God and the saving of souls.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

January 30

Shining Brightly in the Twilight Years

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward manis renewed day by day." 2 Corinthians 4:16

So many people think that they cannot do much for the Lord as they enter their twilight years. God doesn't change just because your health may take a turn or you feel weaker. The faith that is inside of you has not weakened, unless you stop feeding it with works of faith. The things that God calls us to do in life do not hinge upon our physical stamina or financial strength.

Do you know where one of the great strengths of a church lies? In its seniors who have walked with God for years. With their reservoir of wisdom and fortress of faith, they get hold of God, and though their bodies are wearing a bit, they are as strong as they ever were—because God is their strength.

Douglas MacArthur once said, "You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubts, as young as your self with confidence, as old as your fears, as young as your hope, as old as your despair." God gives unfading strength for His undiminishing promises.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk