Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

MAY 10

Are We Taking His Name in Vain?

"For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy." Isaiah 57:15

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain" (Exodus 20:7).

We all know that profanity is one way that you can take God's name in vain, but I'll tell you another way, and that's in frivolous talk. That is, just taking the name of God carelessly or lightly.

Ephesians 5:4 mentions "foolish jesting." What does that mean? God's name is holy. We are never, ever to use His name unless we are serious. Now if you use humor to illustrate something, that's fine, but it's repugnant to use the Holy name of God frivolously.

Begin the day by meditating on the holiness of God.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 11

Dealing With Doubt in the Midst of Trials

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15

When something bad happens to us, we may respond with, "What did I do? I must have done something terrible." Then we proceed down the trail of morbid introspection or what I call "navel gazing." We look down and into ourselves. We take ourselves apart piece by piece, examining and re-examining ourselves. Then we put ourselves back together trying to figure out what we did wrong.

It may be that you have done absolutely nothing wrong, but God is simply testing your faith. If we don't understand this, you see, we may get discouraged.

The seeds of doubt and discouragement sprout in the soil of ignorance.

Claim the promises of 1 Peter 1:3-9 for strength in the midst of your trial.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 12

Tempted, But Not Beyond What We Can Bear

"For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." Psalm 103:14

A factory mechanic builds a truck. He knows the chassis of that truck and knows the load it can carry. In the same way, God knows your frame and He knows the load you can carry.

God is faithful; He will not allow you to be tempted above that which you are able. Nothing comes to you but that which comes through God. Even what Satan does, he can only do as God allows it. You can say, "The temptation was so strong I couldn't overcome it," but it won't be true. God will provide a way of escape.

When you are tempted today (notice I didn't say "if" but "when"), ask God to provide a way of escape. Then trust His way and obey.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 13

Strengthening Your Wings

"How that in a great trial of affliction, the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality." 2 Corinthians 8:2

A man watched a butterfly trying to emerge from a cocoon. Thinking that he would help, the man took his penknife and slit the side of the cocoon, and the butterfly flopped out. It lay there for a while, feebly beating its wings, then collapsed and died.

"How tragic," you say, and you are right, because God had a plan for that butterfly. The struggle to break free built the strength he would need to fly. God doesn't want you to live weakly and die feebly. He wants you to grow and mature.

Find the wings in your trial today.
Strengthen them by the promises in God's Word.
Venture on new heights of freedom in Christ today.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 14

At the End of Your Rope

"Who is among you that fears the Lord, that obeys the voice of His servant... let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God." Isaiah 50:10

I have always been amazed at the advice worldly people give to someone who is hurting. "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" Can you see someone dangling over a cliff, holding on to a rope, and trying to tie a knot? It takes two hands to do that!

The first thing we need to remember is "don't demand to understand." There are some things in life you and I just will never understand. When God allows darkness to overshadow your life, don't set about lighting your own fire. That's a recipe for heartache.

Trust that His light will come and wait for it. He will come. Believe it.

There's someone out there who is hurting today and needs more than a pat answer of encouragement. Give them the light of Christ.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 15

Loving Chastisement of the Father

"For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives." Hebrews 12:6

As a child, did you ever get a spanking you didn't deserve? Maybe now and then your dad or mom would just be in a "spanking mood," and they'd spank everyone they could get their hands on?

Talk about being indignant! There is nothing worse to a child than to realize "I got spanked, and I didn't deserve it."

You know what's funny? At that point, we never stop to think about all the times we deserved a spanking and didn't get one. Our Father is mercifully loving and graciously wise to give us what we need at all times in our lives. Sometimes we need His hand of love in comfort, and sometimes we need His hand of love in discipline.

Thank God that His hand of mercy extends to you when you don't deserve it and that His hand of discipline extends to you when you do.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 16

True Peace and Satisfaction

"With long life will I satisfy him, and show him My salvation." Psalm 91:16

I was witnessing to a man one day in front of his house. He said, "I've got a good income. You see that house? It's paid for. You see that car? It's paid for. My wife is in that house. She loves me." He seemed completely satisfied.

I said, "Sir, I want to ask you a question. Will you be absolutely honest with me? Do you have peace in your heart?"

His chin started to quiver. His eyes brimmed with tears. He said, "No, I don't have peace in my heart.  How did you know?"

I said, "Because the Bible says, 'There is no peace, sayeth my God, to the wicked.' These things cannot fill the longing of your heart. You need Jesus."

Pray for an opportunity to share today the peace you have in Jesus with someone who is lost and searching.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 17

God Has Not Forgotten You

"And He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday." Psalm 37:6

A preacher was in a church where he felt God had led him. But nothing seemed to be working out, so he wanted to go to another church.

He told a friend, "I know where God put me, and I know God put me here, but I just wonder if He remembers where He put me."

Yes, God remembers! He has not forgotten. He is never late. Don't rush God. Don't think He has abandoned you because your prayers are not answered. He will turn your midnight into a sunrise and your mourning into dancing.

Read Psalm 37:4-7 and rejoice in the hope of God's providence and provision in your life.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 26

The Heavens, a Testimony of Creator God

"For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

Can intellectuals believe in God? Absolutely! Many intellectuals believe in God. As a matter of fact, your intellect has very little to do with your belief in God.

Out of all of the secular professional groups, do you know what professional group has the highest number of believers in God?  The astronomers do. Over 90% of the world's great astronomers believe in God. Why? Because they have studied the heavens.

It's not a sign of intelligence not to believe in God. If you're intelligent, you have to say, "Somebody created all of this."

Take a walk with your family under the canopy of the night sky. Praise God for His handiwork in the heavens
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 27

Are You Looking Through the Right Eyeglasses?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

People join churches today with wrong expectations. They think church membership guarantees blessings and no burdens. Some think that God is just a heavenly cafeteria. And if it doesn't work out as they wish, they say, "Well, it's not paying off! I thought if I gave my heart to Jesus, then He would supply everything I want. And I'd have no more worries."

People fall away because their expectations are not met. Let me tell you what real faith is. Real faith is not just receiving from God the things you want. Real faith is accepting from God the things He gives.

How are your spiritual eyeglasses? Are you looking at life with the eyes of the Lord? And trusting that He will provide, not necessarily what you want, but what you need?

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk