Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

MAY 2

All Things May Be Lawful, But...

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." - 1 Corinthians 6:12

If you want to be a victor in the race God has for you, you must learn the discipline of laying aside some weights. Many times these weights are good things in our lives. But good things are bad things when they keep us from doing the best things.

Life would be simple if it were a choice between good and bad. But typically it's a choice between good and best.

Our verse says "all things are not expedient." When you think of the word "expedient," think of the word "expedition." You are going somewhere, and if something doesn't speed you on your way, it's excess baggage and you need to get rid of it.

Ask God, "Are there legitimate, lawful things in my life that are keeping me from running the race You've given me?" If revealed, ask for discipline to lay them aside!

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 3

Removing Trip-Ups from the Track

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receives the prize? So run, that ye may obtain." - 1 Corinthians 9:24

Runners not only need to untangle themselves from weights that may slow them down, but they need to also remove things from the track that may trip them up!

As a Christian, the good things in life may slow us down, but sin will stop us dead in our tracks—it will trip us up. You had better learn to treat sin as sin would treat you! Sin will be merciless to you, and you need to be merciless to sin.

2 Timothy 2:19 says "Let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity."

Is there any unconfessed sin in your life that is tripping you up today? Pray Psalm 139:23-24.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 4

Rounding Third and Heading for Home

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." - 2 Timothy 4:7

When Jesus came to the end of His life, He said, "I have finished the work which Thou gavest me to do" (John 17:4).

He stayed on the track, and so did Paul. They accomplished what God had set out for them to do.

Every man has a race that he must run. Every woman has a race set before her. God knows the course. And everything God commands of you, He will empower you to do. Whether you're nine or ninety, young or old, rich or poor, God has a plan for your life! God has a race He wants you to run!

What is the race God has set before you? If you are not certain, inquire of Him. What He asks of you, He will empower you to do. Thank God for the power to finish the course.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 5

Running With Endurance

"Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit." - John 12:24

You can tell the size of a Christian by what it takes to stop him. Hebrews 12:1 says we are to "run with patience the race that is set before us." And this word "patience" is not used in the sense that we use the word. It literally means "endurance."

Everybody knows that a runner is going to win or lose primarily by his endurance. You cannot quit. When it hurts, you cannot quit. When your lungs are on fire, you cannot quit. When your feet feel like lead, you cannot quit. When your sides ache, you cannot quit! You'll never be a spiritual athlete if you're a quitter! No pain. No gain.

His power will enable you to run the race and gain the victor's crown!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 6

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

"And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God." - Mark 11:22

I ask some Christians, "How are you doing?" They say, "Okay—under the circumstances." How did you ever get there?

Circumstances are like a mattress. You're supposed to be on it, not under it. Under the circumstances, you suffocate; on them you rest pretty well.

The only way you can run the race is to take your eyes off things or people around you and look to Jesus. He's the author of the race. He's the goal to which you run. If you look to Jesus to supply your every need for the race, you'll find faith growing in your heart and in your life. You see, it's not great faith in God; it is faith in a great God.

Do you have a hymnal in your home? Find the hymn "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" by Helen Lemmel and make it your anthem!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 7

More Than Fair-Weather Christianity

"If we believe not, yet He abides faithful: He cannot deny Himself." - 2 Timothy 2:13

Are you a fair-weather Christian? There are some who, if their children get sick, will stop tithing. If they get a bad report from the doctor, they stop praising. If somebody hurts their feelings, they stop going to church.

You can tell the commitment level of a Christian by their "fair weather" gauge.

The test is, when everything goes wrong or doesn't add up, what will you do?

I'll give you some hints. Keep giving. Keep praying. Keep praising. Keep witnessing. Keep worshipping. Don't fail to be faithful.

Think of three things you can do today to bring the light of God's Son to someone who may be struggling with his or her faith. Then go do it!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 8

Tempted, But Not Beyond What We Can Bear

"For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." - Psalm 103:14

A factory mechanic builds a truck. He knows the chassis of that truck and knows the load it can carry. In the same way, God knows your frame and He knows the load you can carry.

God is faithful; He will not allow you to be tempted above that which you are able. Nothing comes to you but that which comes through God. Even what Satan does, he can only do as God allows it. You can say, "The temptation was so strong I couldn't overcome it," but it won't be true. God will provide a way of escape.

When you are tempted today (notice I didn't say "if" but "when"), ask God to provide a way of escape. Then trust His way and obey.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 9

Questions about the Lord's Day

Exodus 20:8 – "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Is it okay to watch television on Sunday? Is it okay to go to a ball game on Sunday? Is it okay to eat out on Sunday? Is it okay to read the newspaper on Sunday? Can I play softball on Sunday? Can I go out on a boat on Sunday? Can I go to the grocery store if we're out of milk on Sunday?

We hear questions like these all the time. But do you know what's wrong with them? You're asking the wrong man. It's not my day—it's the Lord's day. Ask Him.

Ask God, "How can I honor You on the Lord's Day so at the end of the day I can know that it was indeed Your day?"

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 10

The Commandment That Comes with a Promise

"...in the last days, perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection...having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." - 2 Timothy 3:1-5

"Without natural affection" literally means "without family love." If you claim to be a Christian but dishonor your parents, all you've got is a form of godliness.  You don't have the real thing. Faith begins at home. If you can live for Jesus at home, you can live for Jesus anywhere.  If you can't live for Jesus at home, it doesn't really matter where you try to live for Jesus.

God gave Ten Commandments, but the fifth, "Honor your father and mother," is the one with a promise: "that it may be well with thee and that thou mayest live long on the earth."   Before God tells us don't steal, don't kill, don't commit adultery, He tells us to honor father and mother. In my estimation, the respect and obedience a child shows his parents is a strong indication of how the child will turn out. Dwight Moody said, "I've lived 60 years, and I've learned one thing if I've learned nothing else.  No man or woman who dishonors father or mother ever prospers."

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

MAY 11

What Are Your Plans for Mother's Day?

"Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee." - Exodus 20:12

The Bible says to "honor your father and your mother," so when we observe Mother's Day or Father's Day, we are obeying the Scripture. You can honor your father and mother three ways: Obey them when you're young, care for them when they are old, and honor them at all times. How do you give them honor?     

Show them respect.
Express gratefulness. Give them thanks. Learn to develop the attitude of gratitude. Have you thanked your parents for all that they've done?
Listen to their counsel.
Show your parents love. Think of what you owe your parents. They gave you life.I'm convinced that the closest thing to God's love is the love of a mother. 
Why don't you sit down and write a letter to your mother or father and tell them how grateful you are for them?  I'll tell you one thing, they will read it over and over again. And when they die and you're going through their things, you'll find that letter tucked away in their most treasured possessions. Do it, rather than saying I wish that I had.  And if your parents are not living, give them honor and thank God for their memory.

For more from Love Worth Finding and Pastor Adrian Rogers, please visit www.lwf.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk