GOP lawmakers change tune on costly health plans

Started by redcliffsw, December 26, 2009, 08:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

So you wanna elect Republicans and give 'em another chance?  No!

Democrats are troubled by the inconsistency of Republican lawmakers who approved a major Medicare expansion six years ago that has added tens of billions of dollars to federal deficits, but oppose current health overhaul plans.

All current GOP senators, including the 24 who voted for the 2003 Medicare expansion, oppose the health care bill that's backed by President Barack Obama and most congressional Democrats.

The Democrats claim that their plan moving through Congress now will pay for itself with higher taxes and spending cuts and they cite the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office for support.

By contrast, when Republicans controlled the House, Senate and White House in 2003, they overcame Democratic opposition to add a deficit-financed prescription drug benefit to Medicare. The program will cost a half-trillion dollars over 10 years, or more by some estimates.

With no new taxes or spending offsets accompanying the Medicare drug program, the cost has been added to the federal debt.

Some Republicans say they don't believe the CBO's projections that the health care overhaul will pay for itself. As for their newfound worries about big government health expansions, they essentially say: That was then, this is now.

Six years ago, "it was standard practice not to pay for things," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. "We were concerned about it, because it certainly added to the deficit, no question." His 2003 vote has been vindicated, Hatch said, because the prescription drug benefit "has done a lot of good."

read the rest:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2010594910_apushealthcaredeficit.html?syndication=rss

Mom70x7

Interesting article - lots of good quotes:

QuoteSix years ago, "it was standard practice not to pay for things," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah

The Catholic Hospitals group just came out in support of the medical bill; Catholic Bishops oppose it.
Should be entertaining discussions.

Anmar

"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: redcliffsw on December 26, 2009, 08:59:22 AM
So you wanna elect Republicans and give 'em another chance?  No!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2010594910_apushealthcaredeficit.html?syndication=rss
you know, they passed this medicare prescription d program and it is a failure.  They recognize that it is a failure.  So what if they now recognize the same crap different pile with this democrat health takeover. 
At least they know it ain't going to work. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 29, 2009, 05:47:02 PM
Why is medicare part D a failure?
Well first of all it doesn't cover much needed drugs, secondly, if the drug is expensive, they don't cover the cost.  Most people that rely on part D can't afford 60 dollars a prescription for the tier 3 drugs, and that is if their plan even covers it. 
Also when you select a plan, it is almost impossible to understand.  Now I am one who has the ability to understand complex scientific formulas and such, but i still to this day cannot understand the thinking going on with part D coverage. it makes absolutely no sense and i feel a whole lot of sympathy for the elderly that have to deal with such.  :( 
Next this donut hole is designed so that the care is rationed out to only the healthiest people.  If you hit the hole, that means your taking drugs that are expensive and the government needed a way to bail out on those who needed part D the most. 
Last of all, the part D is subtlely going away.  I believe that the intention is to force everyone off of part D in the next 3 or 4 years and do away with it. 

Diane Amberg

I was just curious about your point of view. My Medicare, including part D, starts Jan. 1st. I read about 5 pounds of literature and can change my mind next year if I decide to work the numbers a different way. All my meds are covered. Only one is tier 3. Fortunately I can afford whatever I need for now. I know all about the dreaded donut hole. I'll do whatever I need to do. We "elderly" may be smarter than you think! ;)

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 29, 2009, 09:29:11 PM
I was just curious about your point of view. My Medicare, including part D, starts Jan. 1st. I read about 5 pounds of literature and can change my mind next year if I decide to work the numbers a different way. All my meds are covered. Only one is tier 3. Fortunately I can afford whatever I need for now. I know all about the dreaded donut hole. I'll do whatever I need to do. We "elderly" may be smarter than you think! ;)
Well be careful.  My provider this year came back and raised my rates 300 dollars a year on me at the last second and i didn't get time to change to a new provider.  :( 
They are screwing folks over so watch them.

Look for more and more meds to not be covered in the coming year.  Their getting worse with each year. 

Roma Jean Turner

I had Humana this year at 15.00 a month, they raised it to 47.00 for 2010.  I dropped them and went to Coventry for $0 a month.  We definitely have to be watchful.  They could lower some of the heathcare costs by just stopping the reams of mail these places send out constantly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk