County Road Department

Started by Wilma, December 25, 2009, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Hey, Fellas and Gals, I don't think that blaming a certain road boss for the road conditions is fair.  I was driving those roads, especially the one from Piedmont to Rock and Rock to Rd. 9, 62 years ago and they were pretty much like this then, when we had a lot of snow and rain.   The difference is that we didn't have the big trucks and 4-wheel drives going over them in all conditions and tearing them up before they had a chance to dry out.  We kept the big trucks off the muddy roads, didn't have 4-wheel drives and used our cars when we HAD to go to town.  I can tell you that the conditions that exist now are pretty much like they were 60 years ago and all the years between.

So lay off blaming the current road boss, the previous road boss and calling each other liars.  The roads are what they are.  There was no base when they were built and there has been no base miraculously show up since then.   If you want the roads built the way you think they should be, petition your County Commissioners to raise our taxes so the county will have the money to have it done right.  We have been told how they should be and how it should be done.  I think the subject has been killed, skinned and stewed.  And I would just like to throw the whole pot out.

kshillbillys

Wilma, I concede. You are absolutely right. A technicality for calling 1 a liar, not in Elk Falls but in the "vicinity". And he didn't talk about the previous road boss, HH and I had brought that up. But, M.MM or M&M, like some m&ms are sweet on the outside and a nut in the middle.

MR. KShillbillys
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

peanut

Yep I do agree, as for thinking you are anyone in particular MMM, I was not.
"Talk Low, Talk Slow And Dont Talk Too Much."
                  ( John Wayne )

Diane Amberg

After having read many, many of your posts, it sounds like there is no permanent fix for those roads that are always a mess when wet in the spring. Is there a way to keep big trucks off those roads altogether when there is an annual seasonal wet problem.? ? Can you ban certain traffic at times or are the roads just being used by residents? If so, then there is no solution, ya just gotta wait it out.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 14, 2010, 06:54:55 PM
After having read many, many of your posts, it sounds like there is no permanent fix for those roads that are always a mess when wet in the spring. Is there a way to keep big trucks off those roads altogether when there is an annual seasonal wet problem.? ? Can you ban certain traffic at times or are the roads just being used by residents? If so, then there is no solution, ya just gotta wait it out.
ROTFL i doubt it..... Money talks and those big trucks are working for the folks with money.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Seasonal truck tolls to help pay for the problem?

Jo McDonald

Every rancher - farmer and lots of other folks all own big trucks.  You have to have them if you are into agriculture and livestock...
so-- no way could any one even think of doing something like that.

Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and go on.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Lookatmeknow!!

Yes, Jo you are so right!  I know that we and others have heavy duty 4wheel drive pickups and we also haul our cattle to the sales with a semi and they are brought down country roads.  We have to use these types of trucks.  If you were the ones feeding the cattle in some of those pastures, that are in no means been dry lately, you would want the same kinds of trucks to use.  The semi is to save time taking the cattle to the sale.

And M.mm I do care where my take dollars are going.  I also talk to the commissioners if there is a problem, too.  When we lived at the old place and my oldest started school, the bus had to come to the house to get her.  There was a big hill  before our house that seemed worry some to me and the bus drivers.  I talked to a commissoner about a bus sign and one was put up to make people aware of the bus stop.  Also at the old place our right in front of the drive always washed out, and sometimes it would get really bad.  If I saw them out grading I would ask them to try to put a little gravel over it and they would try to help things out.  I don't have lots of money or pull as some would comment on, but being nice goes along way compared to the continuely griping. 

I am not saying that you are wrong about the way you feel or someone else feels.  I just know that they are out there everyday, doing their job, while we sit on our computers and complain about the things that they are trying to get fixed to everyone's satifcation.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Diane Amberg

Yup, that was my point exactly...as Jo said, sometimes there is no answer, ya just suck it up and be glad when things get better. We've still got some very old market roads here that were finally paved on the "go to market" side only. The other half was just gravel, if that. If it got too bad, people would carefully drive their wagons on the wrong side along the worst sections. Needless to say the driver had to be careful, but horses and wagons didn't go that fast back then. Even today Great Britain has some very narrow country roads that have pull overs so people can get around each other.

M.MM

HMMMM.........Wonder how many of you would just want to suck it up and go on if you could not go east or west on 160 to Dr's. appointments or shopping, or couldn't go north or south on 99 for the same reasons because the roads were full of big holes that were nearly impossible to go around or through in your car? I bet plenty of you would be after the state crews to get things fixed up in good fashion so you could travel them like you always have. And I'd bet oldfart would say that sucking it up and getting on is a little hard to do after realizing he was lied to by his boss and the elected comissioners about being 'layed off' for the winter, but he has NO choice because no one seems to care about some of your own elk countians!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk