County Road Department

Started by Wilma, December 25, 2009, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.Shackelford

Quote from: kshillbillys on February 24, 2010, 08:40:22 PM
Hey Cybil...I mean Shackelford...How many voices are telling you what to do today? I know who you are son and you are on my list!!!

The voices are many but distinguished. You may think you know who I am, but the real answer just might surprise you. And as for being on your list,...why am I?  Have I said something that is not true? 

R.Shackelford

Quote from: M.MM on February 24, 2010, 10:58:21 PM
A couple points to ponder, wonder if the road boss should consider putting up danger ahead signs on the roads where the places are not travelable by car before someone gets seriously hurt? They could be taken down as the places get fixed.

I think a better sign would be "Abonden Hope, All Ye Who Enter

Diane Amberg

Don't you all have the same problems on the same roads and have the same complaints every year?

Wilma

Yes, we do and the same people complaining.

M.MM

Very evident that Wilma and Dianne haven't tried to travel our county roads, but wouldn't advise it if you don't have a truck. I have never used this forum in the past to voice my opinion on situations, but it seems to be a good place to start. I've lived in elk county my entire long life, and i've never seen the road situation in the shape it's in now.
Oldfart? You said you've been laid off since September? Is that right, my goodness, i'm so sorry! When is your expected date to go back? Looks like they could use a full crew right now, at least on days like today, to work on the roads.

kshillbillys

Quote from: M.MM on February 23, 2010, 12:50:58 PM
Maybe it would be wise for the comissioners to lay off ALL road personel until the weather dries up,beings how they can't really do anything right now because it's too wet? Can't blade roads in mud and can't haul rock in mud, why not save the taxpayers some money here!! Maybe they could start back up about July.

Why would you care whether Old Fart gets his job back? In your earlier post you wanted ALL of the Road Crew to be laid off til July! Make up your damn mind!

MRS. KSHillbillys

P.S. I'm gonna start not taking people seriously who don't have the nerve to put anything about themselves in their profiles or write in the New Members thread like everyone else has done. If you just go ahead and let us know who you are it gets other people out of hot water (like Fish). And I'm damn sure not going to pay any more attention to people who I KNOW are using two different names on here to argue and make themselves look important!
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

kshillbillys

Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010

It's a bumpy road out there, in more ways than one. Wichita city streets feel especially rough these days.

Repair crews blame Mother Nature.

In the first two months of the year, Street Maintenance supervisor Don Cradduck says his crews have patched around 13,000 potholes, or three times the number filled during January and February of last year.

"Winter has been kind of rough on us this year," Cradduck told KAKE News on Wednesday.

It's been so bad, some of Cradduck's crews have worked six-day weeks just to catch up.

"I had three crews on a full shift one Saturday patching pot holes," Cradduck said. "They probably did about 150 holes each... if not more."

Potholes form when water seeps into the asphalt, freezes, then thaws again. As the water expands, it can dislodge the pavement.

Officials estimate it cost $6 to patch the average hole. So far this year, Cradduck estimates the city has spent nearly $78,000 on potholes.

"It's not determined by whether we have the money or not. We just have to do it," Cradduck said.

Rodger Jones lives in the 3000 block of S. Bonn, where crews spent about 20 minutes patching several small potholes Wednesday morning.

"They're keeping up with it best they can," Jones said. "I wish we could just resurface it [the street]... but if not, that's the best we can do."

Cradduck says city maintenance crews will respond to pothole complaints as quickly as possible, generally within a day. But with an unprecedented backlog of patching to be done, some potholes may have to wait.

The biggest potholes are a priority, Cradduck said. Earlier this week, a 21-year-old woman filed a complaint with Wichita Police after striking a large pothole near I-235 and N. Meridian. The pothole was so deep, she said it punctured her tires.

And with more snow and moisture in the forecast, Cradduck says his crews may not be resting anytime soon. He expects more pothole complaints over the next few weeks -- at least until Spring when the weather warms up, and his crews can catch up.

FROM KAKE.COM

Imagine the wet, the freezing and the thawing doing this to pavement. Why would anybody think that a little bit of dirt and rock would stop this from happening to a gravel road?

MR. KSHillbilly

M.MM

Excuse me KsHillbilly! If you look back a page, I posted that I made the statement out of frustration about" laying all the county workers off til July." Did you simply miss that post, or you just can't stand not knowing who all voices opinions on here? I don't know you either and really don't care.

kshillbillys

I just like knowing WHO i'm talking to or listening to, that way I can make a better informed judgement on what they are saying. Joking or not, you threw the comment out there and I don't know you to believe that you were joking or just frustrated. I say what I mean and mean what I say....

And that's MISSUS (MRS) KSHillbillys to you....We have one username and both of us use it. That's why we sign our posts but if differentiating between MR and MRS is too difficult for you then.....

JENNIFER L. WALKER
LONGTON, KANSAS

oldfart

hope they put asphalt in some of them ones i saw over there today filled them with sand

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk