County Road Department

Started by Wilma, December 25, 2009, 05:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.MM

LOL! Looks as though MR. kshillbillys has gotten himself all confused and now don't know if he works for the county or not. One page he does and one page he doesn't, get some rest this weekend dear BOY, the weather may just make those roads a little worse again! Good to have some newbies aboard!

Varmit

You might want to go back and look at his and her postings again.  THEIR last posting included both of them.  As they have said before they both use the same screen name and sign it either MR. or Mrs.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

M.MM

Ahhh yes, you are so right Varmit! My mistake; after the Missus tried to get me to distinguish on that last night. Sorry hillbillys. My eyesight just ain't what it used to be.

Lookatmeknow!!

On a little lighter note.  Could it be that it takes time to get the roads but up to par?  I mean new road head man and all.  Just asking!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Sarah

I will add that they did a pretty decent job fixing the disaster down the road out here.   If we could keep the big trucks off this road that use it as a freeway driving faster than most freeway speed limits it would probably hold up longer, but if we get another rain, with the weight and speeds, I don't know.  But they did a good job of trying to fix it. 

redfox

I am a new member on here but have been reading posts on this site for awhile now. Took a drive on several county roads east and west of Howard today and must say that they are all terrible. Lots of rutted areas on every road that I was on. Good thing that everyone that lives in the rural community of Howard doesnt complain or it would be a full time job reading all the posts on the forum. Travel at your own risk and please be careful.

Varmit

Quote from: angtown3 on February 26, 2010, 12:04:24 PM
On a little lighter note.  Could it be that it takes time to get the roads but up to par?  I mean new road head man and all.  Just asking!

I understand what you are saying...however if the roads had been maintained like they should be it wouldn't be as big of a problem now. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

I would like to refer you all to my latest post on the Census thread.

Varmit

Quote from: Wilma on February 27, 2010, 08:07:19 AM
Name one program that would survive with just what Elk County citizens could put into it, including the roads.  Do you really think that Elk Countians pay enough in taxes to keep up the good work.  Most of the road crew would have to be laid off.  The big, more efficient machinery wouldn't be affordable.  Maybe we could get Pete Harvey and his horses back to drag the roads.  Yes, the roads are in bad shape right now.  Even in dry weather they aren't much better, but it isn't all the fault of the road crews.  If they had the level surfaces, sandy soil and no rocks like Sedgwick County has, they could keep the roads in much better shape.  Ask yourself if you would go out and work your fields right now.  Would you plow your garden in preparation for planting right now?  Just what do you think the heavy equipment can do with the mud?  I think this should have been saved for the other thread, but here it is anyway.

Why don't you just admit that there is a need for federal and state funding and the only way to do that is through taxes.  One central authority is more efficient than 50 smaller departments that depend only on local funding

Okay, so let me get this straight.  Our roads are in the condition they are right now because of 1) unlevel surfaces 2) the lack of sandy soil and 3) rocks in the road 4) wet weather. 

1)  A road surface shouldn't be level.  If it is then the water isn't going to drain off of it.  The center of the road should be at least 5 inches higher than the shoulders.  That way the water will drain off into the ditches and not just be absorbed into the road bed causing muddy conditions and "soft spots" that develop into potholes and mudholes.
2)  While sandy soil does allow for better leaching it also doesn't pack as hard.  You want a road bed to be firm and solid so that the road maintains its shape. 
3)  If there is an area of road that has a bunch of limestone sticking out in the road causing a rough road surface then the road has to be built up somewhat with the proper material.  You wouldn't want to use the same material in rocky areas that you would use in muddy ones.  Placing 2inch gravel on rocky areas and hoping it will stay is wasting that gravel. 
4)  Weather happens.  Using it as an excuse for lack of proper maintance is insulting.  Water will stay on the road if it has no place to go.  If there is 4inch "eyebrow" on the sides of the road water cannot get to the ditch.  If there isn't sufficent grade from the crown to the shoulders water will not drain off. 

oldfart

maybe this will help you arm chair blade operators go to this web site it will tell what we all need to know

www.epa.gov/owow/nps/gravelroads/sec1.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk