The Future of the War on Terror, is the War on Islam

Started by Warph, December 20, 2009, 12:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

"The chief source of problems is solutions"

larryJ

Billy, I believe Anmar was referring to my backside, not yours.

Anmar, read and weep or think about what you don't know.

From Wikipedia (Sorry, Warph, I was wrong about the number and so were you, somewhat.)

The region comprising modern Turkey has a long and rich Islamic tradition stretching back to the dawn of the Seljuk period and Ottoman Empire. The country has many historical mosques present throughout the cities and towns, including many in Istanbul. It is the main religion of the Turkish people, where the CIA World factbook states that 99.8% of Turkey's population are nominally Muslims.[1] However, the value that CIA gives is taken by the Turkish officials and Turkey never asks its people their religion but it assumes that the people are Muslim according to their parent's origin. Most Muslims in Turkey are Sunnis forming about 70-80%, and Alevis of the Shia-sect form about 20-30% of the Muslim population.[2] There is also a Twelver Shia community which forms about 3% of the Muslim population.[3]

Concerning the headscarf issue-----

Although intellectual debates on the role of Islam attracted widespread interest, they did not provoke the kind of controversy that erupted over the issue of appropriate attire for Muslim women. During the early 1980s, female college students who were determined to demonstrate their commitment to Islam began to cover their heads and necks with scarves and wear long, shape-concealing overcoats. The appearance of these women in the citadels of Turkish secularism shocked those men and women who tended to perceive such attire as a symbol of the Islamic traditionalism they rejected. Militant secularists persuaded the Higher Education Council to issue a regulation in 1987 forbidding female university students to cover their heads in class. Protests by thousands of religious students and some university professors forced several universities to waive enforcement of the dress code. The issue continued to be seriously divisive in the mid-1990s. Throughout the first half of the 1990s, highly educated, articulate, but religiously pious women have appeared in public dressed in Islamic attire that conceals all but their faces and hands. Other women, especially in Ankara, Istanbul, and İzmir, have demonstrated against such attire by wearing revealing fashions and Atatürk badges. The issue is discussed and debated in almost every type of forum—artistic, commercial, cultural, economic, political, and religious. For many citizens of Turkey, women's dress has become the issue that defines whether a Muslim is secularist or religious.

Anmar, why don't you do a little research and reading about this subject (meaning--don't bring up something this doesn't pertain to the subject at hand) and educate yourself, instead of looking uninformed.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Anmar

Religion is repressed in Turkey, your own post shows that.

larryJ

In looking back at my "own posts" I see the word suppress, not repress.  The word suppress came from your own post prior to mine.

I did not see in your last response anything more about the subject at hand.  Is this because you don't have a clue or what?

In the years I have been on this forum (a few) I have never deliberately shot anyone down for their beliefs no matter what they were.  I have ignored those that I don't agree with.

And, in this case, as to this thread, there are times when you can't educate the uneducable.  So, I am off this thread to read better threads.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Varmit

Way to try and deflect there Anmar.  By the way, I don't care what weapons the Isrealis were using or how they got them.  Fact of the matter is, They were the only ones doing the fighting for Isreal.  Yet no one could defeat them.  As for Isreal stealing land..blah blah blah..I've got news for ya, that land was given to the Jews long before the U.N. even existed and by a power much higher than any governmental body.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: Varmit on December 22, 2009, 03:23:41 AM
.I've got news for ya, that land was given to the Jews long before the U.N. even existed and by a power much higher than any governmental body.
AMEN to that Varmit.   
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

Yes Sirs!  The Bible is the only thing we have to rely on.

Anmar

You guys don't know your religion very well, God also took that land away.

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on December 22, 2009, 11:48:57 AM
You confuse his allowing the people to be enslaved with taking the land away.  The land was never taken away.  The people were taken from the land.  The land is and will always be theirs. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Varmit

Quote from: Anmar on December 22, 2009, 11:48:57 AM

Really??  How?  When?  Please cite chapter and verse.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk