West Elk board proposes to close Severy and Moline schools

Started by Rudy Taylor, December 15, 2009, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

Prairie Star will carry the following legal notice in this week's edition, in addition to a news story about same. The USD 282 Board of Education took this action at Monday night's meeting:

PUBLIC NOTICE OF HEARING FOR CLOSING SCHOOL BUILDINGS
                                                               (Pursuant to K.S.A. 72-8213b)
   Notice is hereby given pursuant to Kansas law of a public hearing to be held on the 4th day of January, 2010, at 7:00 p.m. at the West Elk Jr/Sr High School Auditorium, Howard, Kansas, regarding the Unified School District No. 282, Elk County, Kansas proposal to close Moline Elementary School located at 416 North Plum, Moline, Kansas 67353 and Severy Elementary School located at 203 South Severy Street, Severy, Kansas  67137, for the following reasons:
   1. Steady decrease in district enrollment;
   2. Decrease in State Aid;
   3. Increased operational and maintenance costs.
   Students attending Moline Elementary School and Severy Elementary School Buildings will be reassigned to West Elk Jr/Sr High School campus.
   A representative of the board of education will present the proposal to close Moline Elementary School and Severy Elementary School Buildings and the board will hear testimony as to the advisability of the proposed closing.
***The Public Hearing is scheduled to adjourn at 9:00 p.m.  Testimony will be limited to 5 minutes per person.  Written testimony may be sent to the Board Clerk, Paula McAlister, West Elk Central Office, PO Box 607, Howard, Kansas  67349.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

Do I understand that if you wish to speak, you must have your name on the agenda?  Or will you be given a chance to just stand up and speak your piece?

Rudy Taylor

Mom70x7

When people arrive, they can sign up. That's the best way to make sure those wanting to speak are actually there.

Rudy Taylor

Yes, I just talked to the board clerk and she agrees with Mom70x7.

You MAY submit your testimony so it will be a matter of record, but that's entirely your choice. Everyone wishing to speak will be required to sign in ... that's the only requirement, other than limiting your comments to five minutes.

Mom70x7

And they plan to end at 9 pm, so that it's not a long, drawn-out night.

No idea what the plans are if 50 people sign up to speak.

Rudy Taylor

I think somebody had better look into Plan B.

Lots of folks will want to talk, don't you think?
;D

Teresa

I hope all that voted against building the new school are happy now......................
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face~~
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

We were at the High School tonight for the grade school  Christmas program. My mother and I got there in plenty of time to get a seat.. 20 minutes early.. Guess what..?
All the seats were full.. so we stood at the back of the auditorium .The people just kept coming in. Of course it was Severy and Moline combined.. It was so overflowed and crowded that lots of people had to stand out in the commissary.
Couldn't even squeeze another person in there so some parents had to stand in the other room and didn't get to see their children performing..  :(

Once again... hope those who voted against our kids and our new school are extremely proud of themselves..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jensarlou

That's just what I was thinking.  So what happens from here.  Is there enough room in the current building for the added students or is something else going to have to be done?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk