West Elk board proposes to close Severy and Moline schools

Started by Rudy Taylor, December 15, 2009, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkHall

The schools follow the population - they don't drive it.

Our population declines, we lose schools. If the towns in Elk county would GROW - so would the schools.

I missed the part where someone posted the solution to a $400,000 shortfall. I'm a business owner, a former teacher, and pretty good with numbers. For the life of me, I don't see any other solution when you're looking at almost half a million shortfall.

Here's the thing that drives me nuts about Elk county - we can't work together on ANYTHING. We fight among ourselves while our children grow up and move away.

If we could direct this energy into economic development.... wow, that'd be something to see!

Varmit

Wilma, I'm not blaming the decline on a loss of schools.  I am just saying that I don't want those towns to lose part of their community, thats all.

Mark the population isn't going to grow without schools, that is a major factor in someones decision to move into an area. 

The economic situtation isn't going to improve when we can't even get decent water. 

Maybe we fight among ourselves because the "good ole boy" system is alive and thriving in this county. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Good ol' boy system? There are so few of you, how does that work?

Jo McDonald

Diane, Even a few good ole' boys can do a lot of good.  We're aren't "city-fied" so common sense does kick in and add to the end result.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 24, 2009, 04:40:22 PM
Good ol' boy system? There are so few of you, how does that work?
In all reality it doesn't work and never will work.   Grew up in good ole boy country and they keep the towns small and run off any potential business that might come in cause they want to keep it a small town.  Eventually one day, if population increases enough wichita will move out here this way and develop the area.  But without water, that won't happen.  THey will bypass elk and move on to a county that has water and a county that will lower or make it tax free for 10 years or so for businesses to move in.  Thtas the only way to get businesses in here for jobs.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

If you want water and 10 year tax breaks go to Wichita.  I haven't had to worry about any drive by shootings or worry about going for a stroll after dark.  There is always trade offs in this world.  I'll take this life any day of the week.  Patriodad, I agree with you in the fact that WE is just a few years behind the rest of them.

srkruzich

Quote from: greatguns on December 24, 2009, 11:28:58 PM
If you want water and 10 year tax breaks go to Wichita.  I haven't had to worry about any drive by shootings or worry about going for a stroll after dark. 
One of these fine upstanding neighbors here decided i didn't need my things about a couple months ago broke in and helped themselves.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Varmit

Srkruzich, we've had an occaisional run in with those type around here also.  Usually they end up being trash from wichita.  Tall fences, a good dog, and a well aimed gun make for fine neighbors.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

But if Steve got burgled anyway, what good did all that do? Ya can't spend all your time peering out a port hole and the tall fence keeps you in as well as keeping others out.
Jo, I didn't think Varmit's comment about "the good ol' boys" was meant as a compliment. I just wondered how he meant it. I wasn't criticizing, honest! Steve answered it.

Wilma

"Good ole boys" is a term I use when I mean that nothing gets done because the good ole boys don't want it done.  They have never done it that way.  It was good enough for Grandpa.  It's good enough for us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk