WALLACE, Vera Reba (Ellis) - b. March 21, 1922 - d. November 12, 2009

Started by patyrn, November 16, 2009, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Vera Reba Wallace, 87, of Arkansas City, Kansas and formerly of Longton, Kansas, died Thursday, November 12, 2009 at South Central Kansas Regional Hospital in Arkansas City.  Vera Reba was born March 21, 1922 in Longton, Kansas, the daughter of George and Grace (World) Ellis.

On June 7, 1942 in Wellington, Kansas, Vera Reba married Kenneth Wallace.  They were married for 45 years until Kenneth's death on September 13, 1987.  Vera Reba worked at her home and was known for keeping it very well kept.  She was a member of the Longton United Methodist Church, the "Friendly 14", and was an avid bridge player.  Known for her cooking and baking, she also enjoyed crocheting and going to family gatherings.

Vera Reba is srvived by her son and daughter-in-law, Dennis and Jody Wallace of Colorado Springs, Colorado; two grandchildren, Jeff Wallace of New York City, New York and Jennifer Wiseman of Newport News, Virginia; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Vera Reba was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Kenneth; four brothers, Algie, Wayne, Kenneth, and Harry Ellis; and one sister, Betty Gibson.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas at 10:00 a.m. with Pastor Gale Rider of the Mt. Zion Church of Arkansas City, Kansas officiating.  Visitation will be on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. with the family receiving friends from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas.  The family suggests memorial contributions to the Longton United Methodist Church and may be sent to the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are entrusted to Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, P.O. Box 1233, Howard, Kansas  67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Bonnie M.

Thank you for posting this.  Vera Reba was a good friend for lot of years.  It's always sad to be losing our good "old" friends.
Bonnie

patyrn

Bonnie,

Was she known by both her first and middle names?  I did not know her, but the obituary referred to her as Vera Reba, so I was just curious.  It just seems like an interesting combination.

Karen I.

Bonnie M.

I always called her "Vera Reba."  Some called her "Reba." And, what the obituary said about her having such a clean house was so true.  She was an excellent house keeper, and she always decorated her house so well for special events.   
Bonnie

Judy Harder

I was blessed to know 'Reba' from attending the afternoon coffee that the ladies of the town held at the cafe each day.

We had a woman's table and we had a men's table and we all had a great time chatting and comparing "Stories" and just plain having fun.

Reba loved people and she loved perfume.........and a clean house. This lady always dressed like a lady. Very rarely did she wear pants..always skirts/dresses and a complete outfit. Nothing out of place.

I have missed her since she moved to Ark City......but since it was necessary she be closer to family....understood.

God bless her soul!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk