Football Today

Started by Wilma, November 15, 2009, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

8)Yes I did Wilma and I hate to say I was for Texas. The reason for that, it put  a big 12 team in the BCS bowl instead of just a bowl.
It was great and I am glad that Nebraska did play well so they will get a good seat for a bowl.

Mom70x7

Jim is soooo Nebraska. Pulling for them all the way. But . . .

He was glad Texas won so, like you Jane, we have a Big 12 team in the BCS Championship.
His original goal for the game was that Nebraska wouldn't be embarrassed. They weren't!  :D

When it came down to that last second, and putting it back on the clock, . . . .

It was a good, fun game.

Wilma

I was just going to mention that but couldn't remember which game it was.  I was thinking Arizona-USC.  That was amazing.  And that field goal almost missed.  It is what makes watching football so much fun.

KU is playing UCLA in basketball right now.  I didn't find it until it was almost over.  KU won.  One more ball game tonight.

Jane

Yes, we won. Bill has a full bench that he does not know who to red shirt. If they will work together, we should have another Championship in Allen Field house. Of we were suppose to do that when Pollard,Haas and Lafrends played.

Jo McDonald

I watched Nebraska and Texas -- I was rooting for Nebraska - after being in Texas for the past 15 winters, you can't imagine how sick I got of the Longhorns!!!   I thought Nebraska Huskers played a great game.  I could not get KU on TV tonight -- our cable package doesn't have FSN -- so I listened to it on the radio and I must say it was very entertaining..... I don't have to have someone tell me what I am watching on TV, so the radio was just fine, thank you very much!!  I love sports!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

Would anyone think me remiss if I let my enthusiasm for football flag a bit.  The Chiefs lost again but only by 6 or 7 points, which is better than they did last week.  My interest will pick up again when we can see who has a chance at the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, NBA which I prefer anyway, is in full swing.  Arizona Suns is my team even though I have to stay up late to see them play.  And college basketball is really interesting this year.  Wichita State's Shockers are 8-1 so far.  It will be interesting to see how far they can go.

Jo McDonald

KU - K State - WSU are all doing well.  Woman's basketball is great fun to watch and our Kansas girls are playing well. 
  May they all continue and stay healthy.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Warph

Wilma.... how about them Suns last night.  Did you watch?  They are my favorite, also.  They are still undefeated here at home, 9-0.

If you are not able to see a game or miss it, you can get the recap at:
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/recap_091215.html?mid=IR0910R

Here's a recap of last nights game:

PHOENIX(AP) Amar'e Stoudemire had 28 points and 14 rebounds and reserve Goran Dragic contributed a career-high 18 points as the Phoenix Suns remained perfect at home with a 116-104 victory over the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday night.
The Suns (17-8) are the only undefeated home team (9-0) in the NBA. They ended a three-game losing streak against the Spurs, who had won the last two meetings at U.S. Airways Arena.

Tim Duncan had a season-high 34 points and 14 rebounds for San Antonio (12-10), and Roger Mason had a season-high 19 points, including a season-high five 3-pointers.

Stoudemire made a thunderous slam dunk around Duncan to give the Suns a 100-93 lead with 6 1/2 minutes remaining, and Dragic hit his career high fourth 3-pointer on the next possession for a 10-point lead.

The Spurs, who cut a 20-point third-quarter deficit to one in the first minute of the fourth quarter, never were closer than nine again.

The Suns made 11-of-16 3-point attempts while shooting 52 percent from the field. Steve Nash, the NBA assists leader, had 25 points and 13 assists with his fourth straight 20-point game. Nash also drew four offensive fouls.

The Suns have scored 100 points or more in their last 35 home games, a streak that began after San Antonio won at U.S. Airways, 91-90, on Dec. 25, 2008, when Mason hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer after entering for the first time with 4.3 seconds to play.

Phoenix made 7-of-11 3-point attempts in the first half and led by as many as 18 points twice, the last when Nash made a 3-pointer from the right wing to give the Suns a 63-45 lead with 1:13 remaining.

Dragic made all three of his attempts in the first half, tying his career high for 3-pointers in a game. Center Channing Frye was 3 of 4. Dragic, acquired from San Antonio in a 2008 draft day deal, had 11 points in the first half. After scoring two of the first three baskets in the game, the Spurs did not lead again.

Grant Hill gave Phoenix its biggest lead, 76-56, on a basket with 8:38 left in the third quarter. San Antonio cut it to 89-84 at the end of third quarter, finishing on a 28-13 run that included three 3-pointers by Mason and eight points by Duncan.

Suns guard Jason Richardson, playing with his right wrist taped after bruising the wrist in a 105-99 loss at Denver on Saturday, started but missed his first three field goal attempts in the first quarter and did not play in the second. Richardson's first basket of the game was a 3-pointer with 8:38 remaining in the third quarter, and he finished with three points in 23 minutes.

NOTES: San Antonio has eliminated the Suns from the playoffs the last three times they have met in the postseason, in 2005, 2007 and' 08. Muhammad Ali had a court-side seat. Ali has a home in the Phoenix area. Phoenix center Louis Amundson sustained a mild left ankle injury in the first half and did not return. He had four points and a blocked shot in seven minutes.

GO SUNS!!

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Wilma

Hey, Warph, thanks for the recap.  The Suns game wasn't shown in this area, but my TV schedule has them listed for tomorrow night at the Portland Trailblazers.  I wish I could have seen them beat the Spurs.  I don't like that team.

W. Gray

The Kansas City Star is reporting that those Chiefs fans within a 50 mile radius of Kansas City will not be able to see the game Sunday unless they go to Arrowhead stadium and buy a ticket.

The Chiefs failed to sell enough tickets to the game with the Cleveland Browns to prevent a local blackout.

Years ago, there was a 100% blackout on all home games in the NFL. Kansas City fans without a ticket would travel to my college town, which was outside the 50 mile radius, and flood the local motel rooms just to watch the game.

The reason for a TV blackout is to sell football tickets.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk