Being that this is a slow day on the Political Forum......

Started by Warph, November 18, 2009, 04:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

I was watching Larry King interview Bishop Jakes last night when Larry made this comment:
KING: 1 in 6 Americans is hungry tonight. Pastor Jakes and I will talk about what role the church plays in helping next.

Now that figure sounded rather inflated to me because he is saying 51 plus million people went hungry last night.  You are talking the populations (I did the math) of 22 states.  It makes one wonder where all of these stat's that the MSM spout come from... are they from food banks, church groups, charities, soup kitchens, Acorn or by some goofball clown liberal in Washington not having anything to do.  IMHO 51M would be an impossibe figure to come up with..... so I would have to say, Larry King is full of shit! 

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Wilma

Diane Amberg

Are you talking malnourished or undernourished? Why do schools serve breakfast then? What figure would you use? I think Larry King's number might be USDA. I'm too lazy to look it up. When food banks and church basements stay full, food drives drop off and senior center commodity days dry up, I'll agree that there are very few hungry people out there. I don't much care for Larry King but think Rev. Jakes is an interesting guy.

Varmit

Could it be that schools serve breakfast because the kids have to get there so damn early?  My kids get up at 6am, leave for the bus at 6:45, doesn't leave much time for breakfast.  So they eat it at school. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pamsback

Schools started serving breakfast because of the number of kids who weren't getting any at home.

Varmit

Again, I go back to the issue of not having enough time.  Just because a kid eats at school doesn't mean they are too poor to eat at home. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pamsback

Quote from: Varmit on November 18, 2009, 10:35:54 PM
Again, I go back to the issue of not having enough time.  Just because a kid eats at school doesn't mean they are too poor to eat at home. 

No shit ? If you will go back to when they STARTED serving breakfast at school the reason stated was for the kids that didn't get any breakfast at home. Sometimes MY kids ate breakfast at school because of TIME also not because I was too poor to feed them.
Doesn't change the fact of what the purpose was.

Diane Amberg

Varmit, your kids could get up at 5:45 and have breakfast at home just like our kids do here. Their whole day is skewed to the early side.  To me it's totally weird. The first time I was asked (many years ago) to do a first period middle school program....at 7:15 AM...I was amazed!

Varmit

Diane, I am not going to wake my kids up at 5:45, thats to early.  They have a busy enough day as it is.

Diane Amberg

I agree, but what's the difference from the school shifting the day to accommodate breakfast first before class, or getting up a little sooner to eat at home. We sure never got breakfast at school. I never understood why schools start so early now as it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk