Bad Dog!!

Started by Varmit, November 12, 2009, 12:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

I was in Howard today and noticed a flyer stating that the Howard city council was considering banning the owning of Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and Rottweilers, citing that they were a "uniquely dangerous dogs".  I was wondering where they obtained their information on these dog breeds?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Patriot

Wow!  I wasn't aware that 'uniquely dangerous dogs' had become a problem in Howard.  Learn something new every day.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

frawin

Billy, interesting that you bring that up. My son in Tyler Texas was telling me last night that they wee having problems with Pit Bulls on the loose. Below is a Tyler nespaper artice on it.

Officials Respond To Report Of Loose, Aggressive Pit Bulls
From Tyler Paper & CBS19 Reports

Officials were warning residents in a neighborhood on Wednesday to watch out for dogs that had attacked at least two dogs Wednesday.

Tyler Animal Control Director Shawn Markmann said residents in the area of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Tenneha reported that at least three dogs, described as pit bulls, were roaming together and acting aggressively.

The dogs attacked and killed one dog and mauled another, Markmann said.

During one of the attacks, an officer fired and killed the attacking dog, he said.

Howard Davis, who lives in the 2200 block of Tenneha Avenue said a small dog was mauled to death on his porch. He said a neighbor who owned the dog that was killed came and retrieved the animal.

Davis said he came home shortly after the attack to the horrible sight.

Clara Johnson, who lives near Davis, said she had just stepped outside with her white poodle about 4 p.m. Wednesday when a police officer drove by and warned her.

"He said to get back in the house with your dog," she said.

Ms. Johnson said she had let her dog out because it came to their glass front door and started barking.

"I thought he had to go to the bathroom, but I think he saw the dogs," she said.

Ms. Johnson said she had never encountered an aggressive dog in the neighborhood but was going to make sure that she did not let her poodle out alone for a while.

KYTX CBS19's Amanda Kost contributed to this report.

Sarah

I might have something to say about this.  I've owned Pit Bulls for close to 20 years now and they're not like people say they are.  It's a matter of responsible ownership versus irresponsible owners and people that don't take the time to train their dogs.  But honestly, I've yet to ever see a Pit Bull inside the Howard city limits???  So, why do they all of a sudden need laws on them?  And I've yet to hear of anyone being attacked by one.  Is the city council just bored or what?  Boy, I think I find more and more reasons to leave Elk county every day.   :P

kdtmv2003

I don't know all the info.  There was a Pitbull that had attacked a man and a women in Howard about a month ago.  The man was put in the hospital.  That is just what I heard.

Lookatmeknow!!

Thats also what I heard.  But I have seen Sarah's dogs and they are like little puppies.  And I agree with her on it depends how the dogs cared for and raised.  Just like children!  I know a person who has a rot and the dog is just a wonderful dog.  I also know a person who owns a doberman, and that dog is just as friendly as can be!  Just not sure what they are looking to do with the situation.  It's like wood stoves awhile back, didn't they work on banning them fromt he city limits, or something like that?
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Sarah

Quote from: angtown3 on November 12, 2009, 02:38:28 PM
Thats also what I heard.  But I have seen Sarah's dogs and they are like little puppies.  And I agree with her on it depends how the dogs cared for and raised.  Just like children!  I know a person who has a rot and the dog is just a wonderful dog.  I also know a person who owns a doberman, and that dog is just as friendly as can be!  Just not sure what they are looking to do with the situation.  It's like wood stoves awhile back, didn't they work on banning them fromt he city limits, or something like that?

Wood stoves?  Sheesh

Before the city council even considers such a measure they better take into consideration everything's that's involved, like first, those the law would hurt.  The law abiding citizens that take care of their dogs and that love their dogs.  Second, who out here is qualified to tell exactly what is and isn't a Pit Bull?  What about Staffs and Bull Staffs?  What about mixes?  What about the ones that look like Pits that aren't?  Whose going to decide what is and isn't?  Why not try enforcing aggressive dog laws on an individual basis first?  I'm sure the city has laws in place for dealing with aggressive dogs.  What about enforcing leash laws?  These laws don't stop the problem as much as they create other problems and needed man power to enforce laws like this. 

twirldoggy

There is very much anxiety over dogs in Howard.  One might refer to it as doggy hysteria.

Anmar

random question, billy do you have a 3 legged dog?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

flo

I have a first-hand reply to this.  Since I live just two blocks from the dog that bit their neighbors, I am sure that it is the same pitbull I seen just a couple weeks before that in MY yard.  It was with another large dog that appears to be a mixed breed of some sort.  They both eye-balled me when I started out of my house and I just went back in and called the sheriff's office.  By the time they got here the dogs had gone on south.  Howard does have a leash law and why won't people obey.  Either keep them tied up or penned up.  I have a house dog that stays in a fenced yard when she's out or on a leash if I take her for a walk, but I am tired of cleaning up after other dogs in my yard.  Keep them at home and restrained and there won't be the problem.  I have everything from tiny dogs to humongous dogs running loose thru my yard, and they are not the responsibility of the law officers to take care of.  It is the responsiblity of the owners, whether they are vicious or puppy dog tame.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk