Bad Dog!!

Started by Varmit, November 12, 2009, 12:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

I  gotcha, that I can agree with. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

I hope your house never catches on fire when you aren't home, Varmint. The same is true with ambulance calls. We've on occasion had to deal with a dog when the patient is alone and helpless with an aggressive dog loose in the house. Then there was the time I got goosed by a big German Shepard pup! ;D And the lady having a nasty heart attack who had a lap full of raging little RAMBOs who were trying to protect her from us. And the big Rot who had been shut in the bed room. I thought for sure he would eat his way out before we could take the patient and get out of there. That one did scare me! Not every stranger is an enemy, you know?

Sarah

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 14, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
I hope your house never catches on fire when you aren't home, Varmint. The same is true with ambulance calls. We've on occasion had to deal with a dog when the patient is alone and helpless with an aggressive dog loose in the house. Then there was the time I got goosed by a big German Shepard pup! ;D And the lady having a nasty heart attack who had a lap full of raging little RAMBOs who were trying to protect her from us. And the big Rot who had been shut in the bed room. I thought for sure he would eat his way out before we could take the patient and get out of there. That one did scare me! Not every stranger is an enemy, you know?

True, but the dog doesn't know that.  But you know, the night our little girl died and the sheriff had to come and the ambulance workers, our male was no where to be seen.  He  just stayed out of the way.  He was a very good dog.  He seems to know when he needs to be guard dog and when he doesn't.  We live pretty far out and honestly, he's always the first one to greet strangers with a tail wagging and all, but one day, after dark no less, we had an insurance sales man show up here.  Very strange for all the way out here and our male did not like him in the slightest and kept circling around him growling.  There was something about him that our dog did NOT like.  I think they sense things.  At any rate, that man never came back.  I don't think he was really an insurance sales man. 

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 14, 2009, 08:17:59 PM

I have had 6 heart attacks, and if I were to have another one I would be outside or someplace where my fellas are not a threat to anyone.  Personally i wouldn't depend on EMS here.  I can drive myself to wichita faster than they can get here.
I have in the past driven myself to a hospital because EMS was so far off.  I also know how to control an attack so that i can survive it.  main thing to know in a heart attack is to not panic and raise your heart rate. IF you breath deeply through the pain, and focus on something else, you will slow the attack down.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Varmit

Sarah, that is true.  Most dogs seem to be able to tell how is a threat and who isn't.  We had some things delivered by FedEx, I wasn't home but my wife was.  There were two delivery guys.  My wife said that our shepherd was on guard the whole time they were here.  She didn't attack them or anything, but she gave a low growl whenever they got to close and she never took her eyes off of them. 

Diane, most people don't know how to handle dogs and so are bitten or whatever.  Most folks that approach a dog don't know to read the animals body language. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Sarah

Quote from: Varmit on November 14, 2009, 09:04:29 PM
Sarah, that is true.  Most dogs seem to be able to tell how is a threat and who isn't.  We had some things delivered by FedEx, I wasn't home but my wife was.  There were two delivery guys.  My wife said that our shepherd was on guard the whole time they were here.  She didn't attack them or anything, but she gave a low growl whenever they got to close and she never took her eyes off of them. 

Diane, most people don't know how to handle dogs and so are bitten or whatever.  Most folks that approach a dog don't know to read the animals body language. 

That is very true and even Pit Bulls give body language if even for a brief moment.  Sometimes their body language can be pretty subtle.  A stiff body, an erect tail, a glare.  They can all show a dog that is uneasy or on the defensive. 

The reason children get bit so often is first of all their short and at eye level and staring a dog in the eyes is often considered a challenge.  Secondly, children have high pitched voices and are usually running around wild and so appear to dogs as unstable critters and they act excitable and often provoke attacks or bites.  We had a Lab that bit our son in the face a couple of times.  After the second time my husband took her out and put her down.  She was very unpredictable around the kids. 

Diane Amberg

Steve, you know I can't recommend anyone having a heart episode drive themselves for help, but I do understand why people do. Someone having medical problems is a hazard to others on the road. When people pass out behind the wheel, nobody is driving the car.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 14, 2009, 11:00:40 PM
Steve, you know I can't recommend anyone having a heart episode drive themselves for help, but I do understand why people do. Someone having medical problems is a hazard to others on the road. When people pass out behind the wheel, nobody is driving the car.
You are right and i would only do so if i don't have anyone to come take me.   the times i have driven myself though i waited for ems and they hadn't showed and i waited the first time for over an hour.  In a attack time is limited and of the essence.   I think those of us that have had their first attack, are survivors of second and third because they know when it isn't just indigestion but a real attack coming on. 

Sarah

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 14, 2009, 11:00:40 PM

Oh don't worry Diane.  I can tell you from personal experience that Steve is a hazard on the road even when he's not having an attack!

ROTFLMBO     :angel: :angel: :angel:

srkruzich

Quote from: Sarah on November 15, 2009, 06:47:24 AM
Oh don't worry Diane.  I can tell you from personal experience that Steve is a hazard on the road even when he's not having an attack!

ROTFLMBO     :angel: :angel: :angel:
:|  I am not!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk