Epidural--epidermal?

Started by Wilma, November 11, 2009, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I just heard from a friend that they were going to have one or the other, I can't remember which.  Would someone enlighten me as to just what is involved?  Diane?

heather_tyler_2014

I'm pretty sure an Epidural is something they give during Birth?!
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

Patriot

Epidermal: Pertaining to the epidermis, the outermost layer of the skin

Epidural: Outside the dura, the outermost, toughest, and most fibrous of the three membranes (meninges) covering the brain and the spinal cord.

Epidural Anesthesia (follow the link):  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/epidural.html
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Sarah

The Epidural is the shot they give into the fluid surrounding the spinal cord to deaden from that point down, usually used during birth. 

Tobina+1

Take it from someone who's had an epidural recently... the best invention in modern birth!  I told the guys who gave it to me they were "blessed by God"!   ;D

frawin

Tobina, that is just another example of how the Mothers get everything when a child is born, us poor fathers have to go through it  with out any help from the Drs or Nurses. I bet Chuck didn't get a pain shot or anything.

Diane Amberg

Well, I know what it is, but to put it in context, is he having fluid drained from his brain or a spinal tap or what? Sometimes medicine can get into "short speak" in which nick names are given for things.
   There is the Dura Mater, or tough outer layer of the brain and spinal covering. Fluid (or blood) just below the skull, but outside the Dura Mater is called a epidural event (such as a hematoma,a blood pocket, or serious bruise which can cause pressure on the brain, usually from a blow to the head. It can be minor or very serious.
    If there is a bleed or fluid within or below the the Dura Mater layer, but again outside the brain, it's a subdural event, or " below the dura," such  as a subdural hematoma ( blood pocket) Again usually caused by a traumatic event to the head.The next layer down is the arachnoid layer which is a spider web looking covering over the brain.Then there is the very thin, weak Pia Mater  layer and then the brain itself.  The child birth "epidural" is short speak for where anesthesia spinal injection is given.  Many times in medicine the same thing can have many similar names such as Dura Mater, Dura, dural etc. and still mean the same thing or place.
   Can I be of more help?

Wilma

Thank you, Diane.  Since I don't know what the situation is yet, I don't know enough to ask more questions.  But I will be finding out.

Diane Amberg

Actually ,"Epidermal" does sound more like something to do with a skin treatment. Maybe a skin peel? Patriot is sure right on the definition.

kshillbillys

Quote from: Tobina+1 on November 12, 2009, 12:15:08 PM
Take it from someone who's had an epidural recently... the best invention in modern birth!  I told the guys who gave it to me they were "blessed by God"!   ;D

AMEN to that one!! I had an epidural with both of my girls and LOVED every minute of it!! lol  ;D
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk