*Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.*
*Choose your words carefully, choose what you say*
*Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS ,
not Happy Holiday !*
Please, all Christians join together and
wish everyone you meet during the
holidays a
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Christ is The Reason for the Christ-mas Season!

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Anmar

Jesus was born in January.  Christmas is a pagan holiday to celebrate the winter solstice, Jesus never never celebrated it.

Ramadan was a few months ago and you didnt notice, neither did the original author.  I guess the PC crowd needs to do a better job of promoting it.   ::)
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Anmar

Actually, let me correct myself.  It's not really known when Jesus was born.  The earliest records of people celebrating his birth took place around the middle of May.  There's also a passage in the bible that describes the Date trees blossoming when Jesus is born, that only happens in the spring.

Warph

Spoken like a true muslim.... you are muslim, aren't you, anmar?  Of course, you are.

As far as I and millions more are concerned, Ramadan is as pagan as it can get.  No one is interested as to when it is celebrated.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Anmar

I'll give you my religous beliefs when you give me yours   :-*

Sarah

Actually Anmar, no one knows when He was born.  Most likely it was in the early spring during lambing which is the only time that shepherds stayed with their flocks around the clock, but you know what?  It really makes no difference exactly what day He was born, but the fact that He WAS indeed born and that Christmas is the time we celebrate that.  I don't think it matters at all to God what day we celebrate, but rather the condition of the heart that matters most to Him. 

Anmar

Sarah,

I agree with you somewhat.  People should celebrate the principals of what Jesus stood for every day, and I his memory should be commemorated.  The problem i have with christmas is that much of the symbols have been taken from other polytheistic traditions that I don't agree with and actually directly contradict the teachings of Jesus.

Sarah

Quote from: Anmar on November 09, 2009, 05:46:14 PM
Sarah,

I agree with you somewhat.  People should celebrate the principals of what Jesus stood for every day, and I his memory should be commemorated.  The problem i have with christmas is that much of the symbols have been taken from other polytheistic traditions that I don't agree with and actually directly contradict the teachings of Jesus.

Like what traditions?  (I'm just curious)  It is true that we've taken a lot of traditions in Christmas that have nothing to do with Jesus Himself and made them a part of the holiday.  I guess again this is where heart comes in and you feel it's wrong, then don't do it.  :)

Anmar

As much as i spend time reading and posting here, i really do have a lot of stuff going on.  I will try to post as many as i can as per your request, however i ask that you bear with me.  I have to go back through my books to be sure i get it right.  That being said, I'll start with the tree.

Its pretty much common knowledge for anyone who cares that Jesus was not born in december.  The reason its celebrated when it is is because its the winter solstice.  When Christianity came to Rome and Greece, they needed a way to accommodate the people who didnt want to give up their old traditions.  December 25 in the Roman tradition was Dies Natalis Solis Invicti, which means "the birthday of the unconquered Sun."  This was really an amalgamation of many pagan traditions across different cultures that all revolved around the solstice.   

In the 8th century, saint Boniface was making an effort to convert the pagan tribes of Germania.  At the time, the germans were worshiping large trees and decorating them for the winter solstice.  Saint Boniface cut down the biggest of the trees and a Fir grew in its place.  The germans were pretty pissed off, so a compromise was made.  The germans could continue their custom of decorating and worshiping the tree as long as it was a Fir instead of an Oak.  Christmas had already been changed to the winter solstice, so the timing was convenient. 

The story of the mistletoe is pretty similar.  It was used by the celts and druids as a symbol of fertility.  Mistletoe is actually one of the most recent traditions that have been added to the holiday.  Most cultures didn't associate it with Christmas until the 17th century. 

Ever heard that term "yule?"  Well, Yule was the Scandinavian version of the winter solstice holiday.  In fact, many northern european countries don't call it christmas, they still call it yule.  In england, it was called yuletide. 

Gotta get going, will fill in more later if still interested.  I'm sure steve could lend a hand in this area.

Wilma

I think I have read all this someplace, but I still find it interesting.  I like my tree but I am not worshipping it and it does not stand for anything to do with Christianity.  It is just a part of the Christmas tradition.  I would still like to hear the rest of what you have to say.  As I said.  It is interesting and even if it has nothing to do with the Christian faith I would still like to hear about it..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk