CHECK YOUR TIRES

Started by frawin, November 10, 2009, 08:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I hope this works, some of you may have seen this on the news but I thought it was important enough  to post on the Forum, scary.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

srkruzich

Yeah its worrysome.  THey dry rot and that causes separation.  Uhmm I knew about the date codes on them for years but i have been guilty of not paying attention to them when I bought new ones. 

I am sure that quality of tires has decreased over the last few years as companies try to maximize profits. So paying attention to this seems more important now than it used to be.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

People should have always paid attention to those numbers. Even if you buy a "new" tire, on a low milaege vehicle tires can get very old with a person not even noticing. 

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 10, 2009, 01:43:15 PM
People should have always paid attention to those numbers. Even if you buy a "new" tire, on a low milaege vehicle tires can get very old with a person not even noticing. 
well a low milaeage vehicle will typically change tires once every 3 -4 years.  15k miles a year is low mileage.  And as long as their in use heating up and cooling down they will disperse the petroleum solvents in them evenly preventing the rot.  Its the sitting around that kills them.

Diane Amberg

I agree. By low mileage I meant as sitting in storage a lot. Daddy was a rubber chemist ( plastics and elastomers). He had some of the original patents on the dicup polymerization process for making synthetic rubber during WWII.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 10, 2009, 07:35:58 PM
I agree. By low mileage I meant as sitting in storage a lot. Daddy was a rubber chemist ( plastics and elastomers). He had some of the original patents on the dicup polymerization process for making synthetic rubber during WWII.
Well another trick to making tires last longer while in storage is to coat them with silcone. That will keep them from drying out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk