UNEMPLOYMENT

Started by Wilma, November 06, 2009, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Maybe this should be in politics, but I bet I get an answer anyway.  How is the unemployment rate figured?

Patriot

Generally, as I understand it, from the number of people drawing unemployment from the government.  The problem with that formula is that it does NOT count people who are not receiving the payments or who have taken part time jobs to 'fill in'.

Thus, while the REPORTED unemployment rate in the US is 9.8%, the actual number of people who are unemployed or have taken part time jobs at way less than they need is ACTUALLY closer to 17 or 18%.

Sad, ain't it?  In order to prevent public panic, the govt reports figures that are 'adjusted'... allbeit not real.  Just like they report jobs that are created or 'saved'... and even then get caught misstating the real numbers.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 10:59:31 AM

Sad, ain't it?  In order to prevent public panic, the govt reports figures that are 'adjusted'... allbeit not real.  Just like they report jobs that are created or 'saved'... and even then get caught misstating the real numbers.

Hmm sounds lik chicago style politics, cooking the books and all.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

Actually, this is another area the Fed's should not be. 

Patriot

Gee... just when The Chicago Thugs said things were gettin better:  New Unemployment rate:  10.2%

Diane Amberg

That kind of accounting has gone on forever, its sure not new.

Anmar

Yes, this belongs in politics.

Yes the number is not an accurate representation of the actualy unemployment rate.

Yes, this is the same method that has been used for 40+ years to calculate the rate

Yes, the term "chicago style politics" is overused, meaningless,  and has nothing to do with the unemployment rate.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on November 06, 2009, 12:35:54 PM
Yes, this belongs in politics.

Yes the number is not an accurate representation of the actualy unemployment rate.

Yes, this is the same method that has been used for 40+ years to calculate the rate

Yes, the term "chicago style politics" is overused, meaningless,  and has nothing to do with the unemployment rate.
Oh sorry well lets quit beating aroudn the bush.  The reported rate is nothing more than male bovine excrement!  Its cooked up, pulled out of the air to hide the fact that the administrations policies are failed.   Why else would they hide the true rate of unemployment.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Anmar

I agree, but every administration has done it.  Thats why i laugh when someone complains that Obama has lied.  It's dumb.  Show me a president that hasn't lied in the last 80 years.  He's not doing anything that any other president hasn't done already.  When it comes to lying, Nearly every political partisan on both sides is doing it quite frequently.  Look at the healthcare debate.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Patriot

Quote from: Anmar on November 06, 2009, 01:03:26 PM
I agree, but every administration has done it.  Thats why i laugh when someone complains that Obama has lied.  It's dumb.  Show me a president that hasn't lied in the last 80 years.  He's not doing anything that any other president hasn't done already.  When it comes to lying, Nearly every political partisan on both sides is doing it quite frequently.  Look at the healthcare debate.

Just cuz bobby peed in the water fountain last year doesn't mean we can't call johnny on it this week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk