Tax Time.

Started by Varmit, November 03, 2009, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momof 2boys

steve, don't touch the stuff!  :)  I grew up here, moved away a few years for college and returned to raise my family here.  Can't imagine my boys growing up anywhere else.  Don't get me wrong, I could definately use that money for other things in life, the cost of raising a family isn't cheap.  I'm proud to be from here and proud of what we have to offer families.

Patriot

Quote from: Sarah on November 03, 2009, 08:59:20 PM
According to my dad the county should have sent a letter last spring stating that it was going to go up and that that was the time to make an appeal, but we got no such letter.  Did anyone else?  So, we're also going to be raising cain about that too.

Dad's right, sarah.  The county sends out the assessment notices in spring each year.  Won't show your 'taxes' but shows the current appraisal and assessment information.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Sarah

Quote from: Patriot on November 03, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
Quote from: Sarah on November 03, 2009, 08:59:20 PM
According to my dad the county should have sent a letter last spring stating that it was going to go up and that that was the time to make an appeal, but we got no such letter.  Did anyone else?  So, we're also going to be raising cain about that too.

Dad's right, sarah.  The county sends out the assessment notices in spring each year.  Won't show your 'taxes' but shows the current appraisal and assessment information.

We didn't get it.  :(  I guess we'll try to make that appeal anyway. 

pepelect

Cool thing about Kansas tax law.  You have to pay first.  You pay under protest.  But you still have to pay.

srkruzich

Quote from: ADP on November 03, 2009, 11:36:33 PM
Cool thing about Kansas tax law.  You have to pay first.  You pay under protest.  But you still have to pay.
Yeah well theft is still theft.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

I really don't understand what you all are complaining about.  My taxes went up $18.44. Of course I haven't made any improvements in the last couple of years.  If I had, I would expect my taxes to rise.  My tax statement has a section that shows just what rose.  USD 282 OTHER rose the most.  The other rises were Howard City,  Grace Lawn Cem., and Watershed 47.  The Assessments section shows that my ssessment value fell slightly.  Perhaps your problem is in the Assessment value.  How about studying the explanation section of your tax bill to see what has happened to the value of your property.  After all that is what your taxes are based on.  And if you truly do not understand, take it to the county for an explanation before blowing your stack.

I didn't choose to move to Elk County because I thought the taxes would be lower.  I understood that to be able to live in this peaceful, quiet county, I would have to pay for it.  I have what I expected so why in **** should I complain about the cost?  Does anything exist that some of you can't find something to bitch about?

Sarah

Quote from: Wilma on November 04, 2009, 08:04:18 AM
I really don't understand what you all are complaining about.  My taxes went up $18.44. Of course I haven't made any improvements in the last couple of years.  If I had, I would expect my taxes to rise.  My tax statement has a section that shows just what rose.  USD 282 OTHER rose the most.  The other rises were Howard City,  Grace Lawn Cem., and Watershed 47.  The Assessments section shows that my ssessment value fell slightly.  Perhaps your problem is in the Assessment value.  How about studying the explanation section of your tax bill to see what has happened to the value of your property.  After all that is what your taxes are based on.  And if you truly do not understand, take it to the county for an explanation before blowing your stack.

I didn't choose to move to Elk County because I thought the taxes would be lower.  I understood that to be able to live in this peaceful, quiet county, I would have to pay for it.  I have what I expected so why in **** should I complain about the cost?  Does anything exist that some of you can't find something to bitch about?

Well, Wilma, we haven't made any improvements either and ours went from $700 last year to $1200 this year.  That's quite a jump.  But yes we are going to take it to the assessor to find out why.  :)

Varmit

Wilma, if my taxes only rose $20.00 I probably wouldn't have said anything, but there is a hell of a difference between 20 dollars and 200.  Also, it would be one thing if my tap water actually passed federal inspection, road conditions actually improved and weren't just patched, or improvements in neighborhoods were seen in other places and not just Howard.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

jerry wagner

Quote from: Varmit on November 04, 2009, 08:29:55 PM
Wilma, if my taxes only rose $20.00 I probably wouldn't have said anything, but there is a hell of a difference between 20 dollars and 200.  Also, it would be one thing if my tap water actually passed federal inspection, road conditions actually improved and weren't just patched, or improvements in neighborhoods were seen in other places and not just Howard.

Improvements within the City of Howard would not be derived from your taxes as you are not taxed by the City of Howard who funds improvements in the City.

Wilma

What improvements in Howard?  Where?  I am not seeing any around here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk