New Dollars

Started by pepelect, October 16, 2009, 01:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

Dollar General is coming to Sedan. 

What will that mean for business in the area?  Will it be the demise of Duckwalls?  How will affect the flow of traffic to walleyworld?  Will you buy your cheap plastic stuff at a little box rather than drive all the way to the big box store?    There is already one in Caney,Dewey, and every other large city around.  Is there a point where super saturation hurts same store sales?  Eureka has kept its Alco and dollar store and seem to be both doing fine. 

I don't think I would buy stock in Alco but Dollars pop up everywhere.

lola330

Dollar General in a small town like Sedan will have the same effect as Wal*Mart in a bigger town.  The thing about Sedan is that the businesses already located there are privately owned by local residents.  Dollar General and Wal*Mart a major corporations that buy in bulk and are able to cut prices on items that people use everyday, drawing them in and sucking more of their dollars out of them while they are there.  It is unfortunate to have these corporate stores moving in and competing with our friends and neighbors.  With all of us.  I would not object to a new business, even a chain, if it offered something new and not already available in Sedan or other small towns like Howard.  I do object when I hear people saying we need a buisness that is not offering a different service or products than what we already have, just more bells and whistles.  If you put local residents out of business, who is going to continue shop at other businesses or move here and send their kids to schools here? 

Tobina+1

I haven't done much shopping in Sedan lately to know what the Duckwalls has to offer.  I would think it would be very similar to the Dollar General?  Granted, a new business that will give 6-10 jobs to the area is great, but I also worry it will put some other store out of business and lose 6-10 jobs.  I wonder that if a smarter move would have been to close Duckwalls and turn it into a bigger Alco store.  Remember, Alco/Duckwalls is at least a KS corporation. 

Rudy Taylor

I marveled this week when I struck up conversation with a man who was walking along Wabash Street in Howard. He pointed to Batson Drug and said, "I can't believe Howard has a store like that. I hope the people in this town support it."

He was from out of town and didn't know beans about the community, but his comment struck a chord with me. If, indeed, we want to keep corporate stores out of our communities, there is one huge piece of artillery that is available to everyone concerned --- SHOP AT HOME!

The same goes for other stores whether they're in Moline, Howard, Longton, or wherever --- they offer certain products and services that large corporations don't even know about.

Obviously, communities can't pass ordinances keeping new businesses from coming in. If they did, there wouldn't be ANY stores or service businesses in these towns. It's a new day, and often it is necessary to link up with other businesses in other towns. We will never experience the local ownership that we did 50 to 75 years ago. Those days are gone.

All I know is that my daughter, who is editor of our newspaper, and my wife, have started making a list of items they will buy at Batson's at Christmas-time. It's well worth the drive for us.

And, we have a four-year-old grandson who keeps Duckwalls in business at Sedan.  It's just like an old-fashioned dime store ... we love it.

And yes, we live two blocks from a Dollar General store in Caney, so we drop some cash there, too.

It's all a part of the complicated maze that we call the local economy.

And sometimes it ain't purty.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

Here is SoCal, we have all the big-box stores, Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco--------------places where you can buy many things in bulk.  And, there are times when that could come in handy.  We seem to have a lot of battery powered toys around and buying them at the local grocery store costs $3 to $4.  Going to the local 99 cent store, we can buy the same batteries for------99 cents.

But, the 99 cent store doesn't come close to carrying what other items we need.  The local Walmart/s are a disaster as far as lines and narrow isles sometimes packed with merchandise to be put away.  My wife carries a Costco membership card, but we don't go there very often.  We have it only because our son is on it and he likes to go there.  We had a free Sam's Club card for one year after a visit to see what the store was like.  We liked the store, but never went back. 

So we shop at the local and nearby grocery stores and shop in the malls on occasion.  Many of the grocery stores here also have pharmacies allowing my wife to get her prescriptions and one store even has a bank branch with ATM's if we need that.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

sixdogsmom

I like to browse, and have always gotten a real kick out of browsing in Duckwalls. When I go to Sedan, it is usually a stop I make. I do shop Dollar General every two weeks when I make an excursion to Independence. My dogs like their brand of canned dog food, and tomcat loves their pouch food. And their price on laundry supplies is competitive with Walmart, and I don't have to struggle with a big loaded cart that refuses to steer around all the various piles of stuff in Walmart. The employees are friendly and helpful, always with a greeting and a 'Thank You'. Very important! I really like Floyds' Market for produce, it is usually fresher and a better price than Walmart. Lets' hope that Dollar General will be a great addition to Sedan and the surrounding area.
Edie

Jane

We live in a small town out side of Topeka and we are getting a Dollar General. I am supprised as we have a have a dozen of them in Topeka.
Jane

Tobina+1

OK, so I've reevaluated my thoughts.  I think ANY new business moving into a small town is GOOD.  As long as it doesn't close down another business.  AND as long as the local people support it.  Buying locally helps the local economy.
If I were to win the lotto (OK, I'd have to play first), that's what I'd do... open a bunch of stores in small towns.  I'd hire local people and push money into the local economies.

Lookatmeknow!!

I can personally tell you that if you would actually put a pencil to it, you can get the same stuff here at Batson's/Family Market with out the drive!!  I love it!!  I am their #1 FAN!!! :laugh:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Anmar

Here in norcal, i have similar experiences as outlined by Larry.  Not being from the community, what i say might not mean much but i would encourage anyone to support the local businesses.  When you buy from big corporations, that money usually ends up going overseas.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk