New Dollars

Started by pepelect, October 16, 2009, 01:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

I buy a few things at Dollar General, however; I have noticed that their cleaning supplies come in a smaller quantity then does Wal-Mart.  I mostly buy spices and chips from Dollar General, but I am like Angi, I buy from Batson's when I am in Howard.  I don't think you can beat the prices and the selection.  There are very few things that I cannot find at Batson's.  I have also shopped at Duckwall's, but it has been quite sometime ago.

Rudy Taylor

Janet has hit upon something that all consumers should notice --- the smaller containers at Dollar General and similar stores.

I talked with Roger Floyd (grocer at Sedan) about this recently, and he pointed to the larger boxes in his store.  Obviously, if a store chain is large enough to get into repackaging, they will end up selling you smaller containers of cereal, dog food, etc. The price tag doesn't always tell the complete story.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

This is true.  Since the recession started, your favorite items that you buy are being packaged in smaller containers and sold for the same price you paid before, sometimes even more.  The coffee we buy is several ounces lighter than before and some of the dry goods, i.e., pastas, rice, and some canned goods are smaller than before. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Tobina+1

One thing to remember is that you can buy cases of products at Batson's and I think they only charge 10% over their cost.  It's different than "bulk" b/c normally bulk means one big container (waste and spoilage), whereas with cases, you get the same smaller size item, but more of them, which usually stores better.  I don't think any chain store will do that for you.

jprxmkt

Yes, a case of just about anything we carry (and things we don't normally carry also) and it's only 10% over my cost. Thanks Tobina+1.

lola330

The Family Market sells Our Family brand products.  The elementary schools can turn in Our Family labels and earn 5 cents each label for the schools. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk