More gun questions

Started by Tobina+1, October 06, 2009, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

I didn't want to pollute the other gun discussion, even though these questions are similar, they would probably get that discussion too far off track.

So my question is, those of you (us) who agree with our right to have firearms, what are your thoughts on:
1)  Registering firearms
2)  Waiting periods to purchase firearms

Teresa

A waiting period to purchase a firearm is fine. I have no problem with it actually.
Registration should be a voluntary option.. ( for insurance purposes etc)

Guns sold on the streets and black market ( which have the highest number of crimes committed with them)
  have no laws to go by. They don't wait to buy.. There is no background check.. and there is no registration..
Because non law abiding people are buying them..

Have a massage to do or I would go into it further..  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Varmit

Registration of firearms should be voluntary. 

Waiting periods I do not agree with.  They do not affect anyone but law abiding citizens.

Background checks,...I can understand.  But I am still undecided on them.  I mean, if you aren't going to trust a person with a firearm because of a conviction or whatever, then why are they not in jail?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Teresa

waiting period.. background ck..( I kinda lumped them into one )

oh come on Billy... why are they not in jail??
excellent question and with no valid answer that will ever make sense...
you know as well as I do that no one is in jail even after 2-3 offenses.. all they have to do is have a slimy ass lawyer.. be a repeat offender who knows how to beat the soft system.. scream  technicality and the scum bags are back on the streets within 12 hours..
Child molesters.. ?? 1-4 time offenders are still living in peoples neighborhoods for gods sake.. oh but.. wait.. we can go online to SEE if there is one of the slimy SOB's  is living next door.. or how about the guy who robbed the liquor store only once.. got off and was holding down a job ( for the time being)
My point is...
The background check has a good chance of catching that fact.. I think that the 10 day waiting period is over the top
a 3 day is better... 3 days doesn't hurt anyone.. and it gives the seller the time to get the paperwork in order ..the nix check done etc...  
granted.. it only keeps tabs on the law abider... but it should flag the offender and  keep the felon from legally being able to buy, sell and own a firearm..
( he'll get one anyway... but  if he wants bootleg whiskey  or drugs..he'll get that too... )
There is always going to be a black market..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Tobina+1

So, on the registering part... why register at all?  It seems that all that does is potentially put a law-abiding citizen at risk for being accused (or at least a suspect) in a robbery, murder, etc.  For example, if the law-abiding citizen registers his gun, and then sells it at a gun show, the next person who buys it doesn't HAVE to register it... or even change the registration, right?  So if that next person kills someone with it, all registration papers point back to the original law-abiding citizen.

Waiting period... why is the waiting period to buy a gun the same length as the waiting period to get a marriage license?   ::)

Background check... who is turned down?  What type of record do you have to have to get turned down?  Some unpaid parking tickets?  Outstanding child-support payments?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk