Providing Balance: America's Homeschoolers

Started by redcliffsw, October 01, 2009, 06:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

That argument might hold water if homeschoolers taught the same material using the same techniques as public schools.  But I don't see many homeschoolers "teaching to the test" as I do public schools. 

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 02, 2009, 12:21:46 PM
You take whatever level they are and try to take them as far as you can.

Well DUH!!  Isn't that what a teacher is supposed to do? 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Tobina+1

Quote from: Varmit on October 02, 2009, 10:56:32 AM
Tobina, I see what you're saying but I don't think it takes a "special" parent or child.  I believe it takes a parent that is willing and determined to make the nessecary adjustments in their life. 

Nit-pickin'.  "Special" definately means a parent who is "willing and determined".  Why split hairs when we agree?

Quote from: Varmit on October 02, 2009, 12:50:50 PM
That argument might hold water if homeschoolers taught the same material using the same techniques as public schools.  But I don't see many homeschoolers "teaching to the test" as I do public schools. 

I agree (in case there's a question).  Again, it's like comparing apples to oranges.  The advantage of home-school is that the parents can customize the curriculum to their own childrens' levels and learning abilities.  You have more of a 1-on-1 atmosphere.  ANY child would learn better that way, no matter what the curriculum!  I don't doubt that test scores are higher among home-schooled kids because of this type of learning/teaching atmosphere.  BUT, the fact remains that not all parents are qualified or have the abilities to teach their children like this.  Also, there ARE kids in public schools that would beat the test-scores off home-schooled kids any day of the week.  Maybe they have smart genes.  Maybe they have a dedicated teacher.  Maybe they have "special" parents who took the time to do homework and reading with them and challenge them beyond school work. 

I think the bottom line is that if you are a parent and can provide the education to your children, and are "willing and determined", then maybe home-school is a good option.  If you are a parent that must work hard to provide necesseties to your familiy, or do not feel confident in your teaching abilities (or at least feel more confident in teachers' abilities), then public school is your option.  We can't/shouldn't fault parents or kids for being one way or the other.  IMHO, it's not your education who makes you who you are... it's how you USE that education for the rest of your life!

redcliffsw

With a private school(s) in EKCO, there would be more choices and competition. 

The gov't school concept seems too expensive and dependent upon taxes from
property owners.   

Already there is expectancy of wind power as a source of tax revenue in EKCO. 
If the wind power project happens, the gov't will be taking more income from
the wind turbine project than the landowners will receive.  Another good reason
for landowners to oppose any wind turbine easements on their lands.

pepelect

since you want to call me out jump off a red cliff sw
Quote from: redcliffsw on October 02, 2009, 05:14:53 AM
Pep-
You seem to relish a partnership with gov't to build a "greater" school. ( How can you be a partner with yourself I am govt.)
Good luck on that.  If you win the "yes" vote, then you've successfully captured the means to tax
the community(myself) and gained the borrowing power(equity), all in the name of education ;D and you can call it a "political
vivtory".

We ought not to seek a bigger gov't or gov't schools - the home-schoolers don't, why not you?  You are completely off base.  We are consolidating not expanding.

I'd vote for more freedom by voting "no".  This show me your ignorance on this topic.  You don't understand.

So following you "logic" a lesser school is better.  Forget that fact that 60% of the school system is special education for the cooperative. Not one house on one street but a multiple district venture. Don't worry about speech, physical, or developmental theraphies they aren't needed or even wanted.  I don't understand the capturing of something that is not capturable.  I can't tax, I won't have gained any power and political vivtory doesn't even have a difinition....  Who is we?  You are confusing spending less money wisely with foolishly spending much more money.  I want a smaller school because we have a smaller student base.  I think that painters should paint.  Farmers should farm.  Teachers should teach.

The reason I won't, haven't, or ever will homeschool is I want my kids to be smarter than I am.  Simply physics  you can't create matter.

pepelect

Blow off a cliff.....There is no tax on wind farms in Kansas..... That is the only reason they are willing to build in this area is they are still getting federal tax breaks for green power construction.

The proposed wind farm west of Howard would bring in $250million ($250,000,000) worth of valueable assets to Elk county.  Potentially hundreds of temporary and at least 21 permanent jobs. 
There is Payment in liew of tax(PILOT). That could be used by the county for anything. 

Land owners are pretty funny bunch.  They will usually do what they want to do.  If someone wants to build a pipeline( taxable entity) through and has the cash they can usually get it done.  If someone wants to poke holes in the ground looking for oil( oil companies don't have to pay taxes on anything pipe, jacks, its all free) and have the cash they can do that too.  If a bunch of hunters want to come on to your property and hunt every year undisturbed and have the cash they can. 

But what you are saying is that if someone wants to come in and build a wind farm we(as homeschooled landowners) should oppose it because they might pay the govt more than the landowners!!?? 

Do they teach economics in homeschools?

Tobina+1

Does anyone have any stats as to how many private schools are opened each year?  Just curious as to if that's a growing trend or not.  Same goes for number of children being home-schooled.

Diane Amberg

Red, please go build a private school so you can have it however you want it. I thought a Charter School would be perfect for you, but you never even considered it. Do you really want to accomplish something or do you just want to sit on the side lines and complain as the parade passes you by.  Sorry if I sound harsh but it's getting a little old.
   Varmit,"teaching to the test" is an an approved way of teaching some subjects. That's how spelling lists work.You give the kids the lists, they learn it and test on it later. Multiplication tables and math basics work somewhat the same way. Critical thinking skills, no. Learning the names of all the states, yes. As far as public schools VS home schools "teaching to the test"....how could you possibly know? You are just guessing. Home schools do indeed have curriculum guides that are used at the various levels. They do have more flexibility in how they reach the goals, but there are indeed goals for each level. It doesn't just come out of thin air. I really got curious since some of you have been acting so dissatisfied, so I have asked some friends who do it how they manage. It has been very enlightening to say the least.

redcliffsw

Pep
Sounds like you've studied Keynesian economics.  Where'd
you get all that schooling?  Princeton or Oxford?

greatguns

Princeton or Oxford?  Couldn't be, the buildings are to old! ;D

Varmit

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 02, 2009, 03:32:08 PM

Varmit,"teaching to the test" is an an approved way of teaching some subjects. That's how spelling lists work.You give the kids the lists, they learn it and test on it later. Multiplication tables and math basics work somewhat the same way. Critical thinking skills, no. Learning the names of all the states, yes. As far as public schools VS home schools "teaching to the test"....how could you possibly know? You are just guessing. Home schools do indeed have curriculum guides that are used at the various levels. They do have more flexibility in how they reach the goals, but there are indeed goals for each level. It doesn't just come out of thin air. I really got curious since some of you have been acting so dissatisfied, so I have asked some friends who do it how they manage. It has been very enlightening to say the least.

Spelling tests, multiplication tables, states names,...almost all of these unavoidably fall into the "teaching to the test" category.  However, history, science, lit., english cannot.  By "teaching to the test" I was referring to the teachers who spend all year teaching only the material that is covered on standardized tests, instead of giving our children a broad education.  

By the way, I am not just guessing.  My sister home schooled her children.  She never once gave her kids a study guide with the answers to the test on it, unlike my oldest sons teacher who just last week did that very thing.  My sister took a totally different approach, she made her kids actually earn their grades.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk