Convince Me

Started by sixdogsmom, September 29, 2009, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

From the Kansas Secretary of State on Voter Registration:

QuoteKansas elections are conducted by the counties with oversight by the Secretary of State's office. Voter registration application (español) forms must be submitted to the county election officer where the applicant lives. You may also register to vote or change your registration information online with a valid Kansas driver's license. The deadline to register to vote is the fifteenth day before any election.

http://www.kssos.org/elections/elections_registration.html

Sarah

Quote from: flintauqua on October 13, 2009, 06:14:56 PM
From the Kansas Secretary of State on Voter Registration:

QuoteKansas elections are conducted by the counties with oversight by the Secretary of State's office. Voter registration application (español) forms must be submitted to the county election officer where the applicant lives. You may also register to vote or change your registration information online with a valid Kansas driver's license. The deadline to register to vote is the fifteenth day before any election.

http://www.kssos.org/elections/elections_registration.html

Well, now that is in direct contradiction of an earlier post that said it didn't matter if the people were in Elk County, GW County or CQ counties, as long as they were in this school district they could vote.  Also doesn't seem right that land owners who this bill would directly affect can't vote on it either.  Shrug

But that's all I needed to know was what to tell them.
Thanks

Joanna

As long as you live (reside) in the school district, you can vote. 
Every registered voter gets only one vote and you can only be registered in the place where you reside.  It's not unfair ~ just the way things work. It has always been this way, and if you choose to own land or property in a different town/district/county/state than you live in, you have also chosen to pay the taxes assessed in that region; it's a package deal.  If I owned a rental house in Butler county, for instance, I certainly could not vote in both their election and the one in Elk County where I live.

flintauqua

Quote from: Sarah on October 13, 2009, 06:21:57 PM

Well, now that is in direct contradiction of an earlier post that said it didn't matter if the people were in Elk County, GW County or CQ counties, as long as they were in this school district they could vote. 

For Clarification:

If you live in Greenwood County, and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Eureka.

If you live in Elk County, and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Howard.

If you live in Chautauqua County and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Sedan.

Or, according to the quote from the Sect of State, you can register online.

Sarah

Quote from: Joanna on October 13, 2009, 06:39:15 PM
As long as you live (reside) in the school district, you can vote. 
Every registered voter gets only one vote and you can only be registered in the place where you reside.  It's not unfair ~ just the way things work. It has always been this way, and if you choose to own land or property in a different town/district/county/state than you live in, you have also chosen to pay the taxes assessed in that region; it's a package deal.  If I owned a rental house in Butler county, for instance, I certainly could not vote in both their election and the one in Elk County where I live.

I thought about that too, that a person could vote in a presidential election in every county they owned land in.  :)

Quote from: flintauqua on October 13, 2009, 06:43:04 PM
Quote from: Sarah on October 13, 2009, 06:21:57 PM

Well, now that is in direct contradiction of an earlier post that said it didn't matter if the people were in Elk County, GW County or CQ counties, as long as they were in this school district they could vote. 

For Clarification:

If you live in Greenwood County, and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Eureka.

If you live in Elk County, and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Howard.

If you live in Chautauqua County and within USD 282, then you register to vote in Sedan.

Or, according to the quote from the Sect of State, you can register online.

Thank you for the clarification!  :)

sixdogsmom

Sarah, are you registered to vote? No matter how you vote, by not voting, you are allowing someone else to take responsibility for the way things are, or will be. Voting is not only a right but a responsibility, just as serving on a jury is. A reminder to everyone, be certain that you are properly registered to vote, then exercise that right on Nov3. Unlike others, I will not suggest how that vote should go, as I think everyone should make that decisiion themselves. See you at the polls, and do not assume that your vote does not matter, a close vote could determine whether this election goes one way or another, and your vote could make the difference. Get out and vote on Nov3!  :police:
Edie

Sarah

Yes I am and I vote every major election and I'll be there for this one.  :D  Thank you for asking though.  My husband is also registered and he'll be there also.  :-) 

okiemon

Was paying for the school by raising sales tax instead of property tax ever discussed?
Anybody know what percentage of registered voters are property owners? It doesn't seem right for a person that is not a property owner to be able to vote to raise my property tax.

pepelect

I do believe that sales tax is a more fair tax.

The only problem is that if you live here you pay property tax here. Just because you live here doesn't mean that you shop here.

I don't think there would be enough retail sales to drive a sales tax revenue stream.  Look at current annual sales tax reports from the state. It is around $10k per month.  That currently is a 1% sales tax.  If you raise the local taxes you drive away consumers to surrounding areas that don't have the tax.  The other obstacle is that we encompass three tax collecting venues.  Elk, Greenwood, and Chautauqua counties.  How do you inforce a sales tax for half of one county, one forth of another, and part of a third.  It would be a logistical nightmare. 

We don't have a great many businesses in Elk County that produce much sales tax.  You would have to raise the sales tax 2-3% and it would be up there for longer than 15 years to generate enough revenue to ever catch up with the bond payment. You could stretch out the bond to 25 or even 30 years and lower your yearly payment but you would be getting the same amount of school for 160% the price.
  Remember every year we have a bond costs up to 4.25% in interest.

There were 1872 registered voters in the last election.  I think more have registered since then. 

This is the American way of democracy.  We only get two senators.  We only get one vote once no matter how much land you own.  And you can only vote where you reside.  With that said you can move anytime to whereever you want,  pay taxes,  and vote from there. 

Make sure you register by the 19th of October to be able to vote on the 3rd. of November.

Tobina+1

OK, hate to muddy the waters, but I got confused on all the voting information.  Can someone clear it up for me?

The bond question in the election on Nov 3 is open to ALL Elk county residents who are registered to vote?  Or is it only for EK residents registered and reside WITHIN USD 282 boundaries (i.e. can people who live in Longton and kids attend Longton vote on this bond)?
Can residents (i.e. Severy) who vote and reside in GW county go to Eureka and vote on the bond issue if they reside within USD 282 boundaries?
Will ALL EK land be taxed, or just the land that is within the boundaries of USD 282 (so Longton land won't be taxed, as Howard/Moline land were not taxed for Longton's school bonds, either)?
Will other counties (GW) land be taxed if they reside within USD 282 boundaries?

So bottom line... if you live anywhere within USD 282 boundaries, you can vote (in your proper registered county location) and land will be taxed (but only the land within USD 282 boundaries)?  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk