Convince Me

Started by sixdogsmom, September 29, 2009, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

I am so sorry, but I do think the populace has been failed in the zeal for a new school. In times past, an unwanted building would have simply been pushed down and destroyed. These days, impact studies need to be completed, asbestos removed, etc, etc. What provisions have been made for that? Or was the board hoping that the whole thing would be slipped by an unawares community? Was it just ignored? I am thinking that we are about to become the victims of an overzealous group who are looking out for what they perceive is the easiest solution, and the most attractive solution to sell.
Edie

srkruzich

I could see doing it if a votech school or college could be started in them.  I know i would love to go back to school and learn something new if there was a facility maybe a satellite school that would meet in the buildings. 

But the biggest factor i can see that hampers any kind of growth in this area is the lack of water.   Wouldn't concentrating on putting in the water system that everyone paid for meters for a few years ago bring in industry?  Water is like transportation. If you don't have it, no businesses will locate here. 
That was true in the 1800s for towns that the railroad didn't come near, and its still true today. 

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Seriously, does anyone know of a school building that has closed and been maintained or put to good use?

Anmar

I don't know much about your situation, but i noticed someone said the old buildings are 30-40 years old and need a lot of repairs.

The school i graduated from is about 60 years old.  They've expanded it several times.  Has anyone done a study to see if the existing buildings can be repaired or brought up to modern standards?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

okiemon

What are we getting for our 5.5 million? Rumor has it that 1.5 million will be for the gym. Do we really need to spend 5.5 million?

Will this issue be further discussed at future board meetings?

How long will the increase in tax last? Will the decrease in LOB be past on to the tax payers or will it go back into the school?

What are the negative impacts on Moline and Severy? ( I'd like to hear from the pro-bond people )

What will be done with the buildings at Moline and Severy? With a million dollars of deferred maintenance will you even be able to give them away?

Mom70x7

QuoteSeriously, does anyone know of a school building that has closed and been maintained or put to good use?

I know of at least one in Kansas that is now a personal residence.

Cheyenne

We have a school in emporia that was closed but it is now used my the district for something else. If the bond does pass would it be an option for the district to use the old building for things such as storage, other offices for people in the district, or even to have butler county put an office in, or is the communities too small for these things? I think Mulberry Elementary in Eureka was also used for other offices within the district, but being that the schools are in different towns I don't know if this would work

D Whetstone

Quote from: greatguns on October 02, 2009, 10:14:04 PM
Seriously, does anyone know of a school building that has closed and been maintained or put to good use?

Check out Jennings, Kansas in Decatur County. A town of about 150.  Closed the school.  Building was purchased by a company from Canada who manufactures coaches and buses.  Their primary markets are in Canada and Mexico. So Kansas was a centralized location.  They have spent millions remodeling the building for their use.  And, they are asking and working w/ the City of Oberlin (largest town in Decatur Co and the county seat) to expand the length of the runway at their airport (which right now would be similar to Eureka's) to allow for planes carrying freight.

Building being used.  Job growth. Expanded airport that can be used by others.

I think if we look forward and work hard we can do this also.

David

sixdogsmom

This is not an example of what usually happens, and you know it. That is not the plan and you know it. There is no plan and you know it. Sorry Dave, there are always exceptions to the rule, and I stick with my original assumption; it is irresponsible for this board to go ahead with a school bond without thorough planning. Pep says this building needs repair, all buildings need repair all the time. And it is our responsibility to plan ahead for these things, not tear down the house when it needs a new furnace, but use the funds that have been set aside for that purpose.
Edie

Varmit

The old school building in Grenola is now a small airplane parts manufactoring building.  From what I hear it doesn't pay that well, but it is better than just letting the building rot. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk