Life in the Oink Sector

Started by redcliffsw, September 25, 2009, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshillbillys

I try not to make typos and always got As in English. Ever think that some of these people on here are just so sick and tired of seeing people bitch and gripe about spelling and grammar that they do most of it on purpose? That would truly be my guess but what would I know.

It's a political thread for cripe's sake, NOT a spelling bee or graded English exam.
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

flo

I absolutely DID NOT say a thing in my post about mispelled words.  I was merely making a comment about another post as to why anyone would want to support a public school.  :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kshillbillys

Quote from: flo on September 29, 2009, 08:42:38 AM
My education came from a public school system.  I even learned the difference between "due" and "do" and "throw" and "through" (all though I'm at a loss as to how those two words are related).  We were taught to capitalize names and use punctuation such as "Red's" instead of "reds", etc.

Nope, you didn't say anything about misspelled words (and hey, you MISSPELLED misspelled in your reply) but you did take the word RED from Billy's post and make a point about it. That falls under the grammar I was speaking of.

flo

NOW it has become a spelling thing.  Shame on me, I'll take my 10 lashes with a wet noodle and shut up.  :-X
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kshillbillys

Just thought if other people could make big deals out of nothing that I could too. Oh well hell, not the first bad thing I've done today and I'm sure it won't be the last...Boys, the forums all yours again until I feel the need to get mouthy again....

Varmit

Quote from: Diane Amberg on September 29, 2009, 12:38:18 PM
Thanks, Flo, I promised I wouldn't say anything about spelling anymore. I don't think some of them even try. I don't know why they seem so proud of it. I don't mean typos either, everyone does that from time to time.That's really an insult to some teacher somewhere who tried to teach" then and than", and correct apostrophe usage and so on. Even as adults some absolutely refuse to learn what they didn't learn earlier. Why? And they criticize the teachers in today's schools? No wonder other countries are supposed to be ahead of us. Even our adults refuse to learn anything new or fill in their own weak spots. I really don't get it. (Oink,Oink)

You know, that is so true.  For instance when I was in school I had to take a typing class where we learned things like finger placement, margins, spacing, things like that.  And in this day and age it floors me that adults, espcially teachers, cannot type correctly.  I tell ya, its a damn shame.  I am sure that there is a typing teacher somewhere just bawling her eyes out. 

Teachers are a really weird group of people.  I had some that were spelling and grammar freaks, others that didn't give a hoot so long as they were able to get the meaning of what you were trying to say.  I had one that was fond of saying, "To hell with the messenger and its delievery, did you get the fu@#$^*  message?"  He was my favorite.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pamsback

QuoteI was merely making a comment about another post as to why anyone would want to support a public school.

I've discovered abstract examples don't fly too well Ma :P

jarhead

Why Varmit, you sly devil you !!! Did I see sarcasm in that typing teacher thing ?? Now be a good boy and just be a ----what was the term ?? ---oh yea---a " pimple minded person" and quit acting like you are an educated person. You live in Elk county you know. :)

Diane Amberg

What is the matter with you people? On the one hand you say our education system stinks and then you say that  anything that can be understood should be acceptable.  OK, so 2+2 =5 gets an A because it's "close enough?" I'll tell ya who complains about the poor grammar and spelling. Employers! You won't get a job in many of our big industries, (beyond entry level), around here, with poor grammar and spelling. Especially now that there are no longer any secretarial pools to catch the boss's errors.  ;D You want the new school built by someone who is happy with "good enough?" If your accepted window cut sheet specifies a xxx- 223 window, and the builder installs a lower quality xx-233, that's OK because it's close enough?  Don't you want what you paid for? Yes, it is true that some people, who are good readers, can manage, with hard work, to figure out what a poor speller is trying to say, but poor readers cannot read other people's poor spelling a bit well. Shouldn't we all be trying to be better?  Do you want to sit down with a "good" book and have it full of errors? I hope you expect more from your Doctor and Pharmacist than "good enough."
  I've told you all many times, you can pick at my typing all you want. I never had a keyboard or typing class. My errors are fewer than they were and I've moved from a D to a C. I am , even now, trying to improve. I didn't quit and just accept the status quo.  I graduated college in 1966....what computers? I wasn't educated in this "day and age." Varmit. You are half my age!
           Varmit....your one teacher who apparently cussed in the classroom, should have known better What was he teaching?
That was in a public school class? Why weren't the parents in a uproar? And he was your hero? figures!

Teresa

I type weird with my fingers in not the right places.. I took typing.. but my fingers just seemed to want to have a style and placement of their own.  ;D  So as I do with everything in my life.. I blazed my own trail and I type in my own way in my own fashion.. The words still get there..LOL

Kjell can type faster than the wind with his 2 middle fingers. He doesn't look at the keyboard either.. How he does it I don't know.. I watch him and his 2 fingers just fly all over the keyboard.. weird... but it works for him..

Funny how we all learn the same things in different ways and what teachers seem to click with us and who and why we remember them .. The more teachers acted 'less teacherish".. the more I learned from them. I found that I had to be able to relate to them before I could give them a lot of my attention. I had a college teacher that once a week a group of us would go out and drink a few beers together... He had more of the students attention in class and had no trouble at all in good grades being made becasue I think he was easy to relate to and "human".. and he was a teacher.. but also a freind...
Good combination... :)

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk