Longton Photos

Started by W. Gray, September 20, 2009, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

More photos from Jarhead.

These and a few other of the pictures I've furnished are from the collection of Rick Kill, owner of Rick's Café here in Longton. The 3rd picture of O&B , the building on the right was the Fox Grocery back in the 50's. The fire escape ladder led to where the "Odd Fellows" held their meetings.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

These are good pictures, and so are the ones of the other service stations in Longton.  Where do you suppose Rick got these pictures?  They make for a good history lesson.

We'll be back there in 3 or 4 weeks, I'll look at Rick's pictures then!
Bonnie

Diane Amberg

I wonder whatever became of all those tires.

ddurbin

Here's an easy one for us "older-timers"---but let's educate the younger ones:   Who was the 'O' and the 'B' of O&B Oil Company?

jarhead

Bonnie,
I'll warn Farmer Joe that you are coming to town. :) I think about all the pictures I've been sending Waldo and probably more, are hanging on the walls of Rick's cafe. Some I had and other people have given him copies. I think Neil Osborne gave him quite a few including the ones of old gas stations.

Wilma

I always thought the O in O & B was Osbourn, but I don't think I ever knew who the B was.  Neil Osborn's partner was, and now the name escapes me, but his wife's name was Shirley and they had a daughter, Teresa.  I just noticed I have spelled Osborn two different ways and jarhead gave it another spelling. 

patyrn

I think you're thinking about Ira Thomas, Wilma, but that wouldn't be the original B in "O & B".  I have no ideas.................could it have been Baughman?

jarhead

Wilma,
Osborne---Osbourn---Osborn ?? Osborn is right but he's known as 'the Bog Oz" in these parts !!! :)
There was an O&B ranch north of Longton,too. Owned at one time by the owners of the oil co. The "O"s got the oil co. and the "B"s got the ranch---or so  rumor has it.

Bonnie M.

Yes, O & B was owned by Tom Baughman, and I think Neal Osborn's dad, or uncle?  Tom was Loyd's dad.  Then, I think Neal & Ira were the last owners of the O & B Oil Company.

And, Ronnie, regarding letting Farmer Joe know I'm going to be there, I suppose if you told him his favorite cousin was coming to see him, he'd say "Patsy?"  Isn't that what you told me he said, the last time?  (Woe is me!)
Bonnie

jarhead

Yes Bonnie I did---but it was a little fibber.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk