Bur Oak Tree

Started by W. Gray, September 17, 2009, 07:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Photo provided by Jarhead.

1969 photo by Glenn P. Smith, District Conservationist, of the largest Bur Oak tree in Kansas about two and one-half miles north of Elk Falls on the Carl Morrow farm. The tree has a diameter of 5 feet, ten inches at breast height. Overall height, 89 feet. The crown has a spread of 105 feet. Estimated age is 350-400 years.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo,
I forgot to menton that the tree was struck by lightning several years back and died

flintauqua

I remember visiting this tree several times.  The one time that stands out was on a grade school field trip, in K or 1st grade, 1973-75. 

We seem to have toured the whole county.  Stops I remember other than the oak were the falls and the Frakes place, the Longton Fair Building, the Busby schoolhouse. the fire station and old city jail (in the back of the station) in Moline, the community building in Grenola, up and over the Eagle Head to the original oil well of the Bush-Denton field, and the courthouse.

W. Gray

I received the following comment from Leisa Meisch via Email:

"I have been reading the old history blog, and its great stuff!  Is it possible that the photo on the Bur Oak Tree was taken by Glenn P. Snell ? I remember a Mr Snell but not his first name.  Or when he worked for the SCS. I moved to the area in the early 70's and may be way wrong."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

This tree was on the Howard Armstrong Farm, whic was owned by Carl Morrow. I had not seen this post before. This same Farm had one of the earliest sightings of a Cougar that I remember. Howard had an old mare and colt in the Corral and the Old Mare was raising a fuss and Howard looked out and saw the Cougar sneaking along the fence row to the corral. Thanks Jarhead and Waldo
Frank

Wilma

Where is this Howard Armstrong farm?

frawin

Wilma, it is on the "RiverRoad" that goes from Howard to Elk Falls. After you cross the Elk River Bridge by the Old Fleak place, you angle back to the S-SE and the Morrow/Howard Armstrong place was on the West side of the road about 1.5 to 2 miles out of Elk Falls. Wilma, do you remember where Stony Point Schoolhouse was, if so the Morrow/Armstrong was on down the road South-Southeast of Stony Point Schoolhouse.
Frank

patyrn

Tell Mona Leisa that she's right; the soil conservationist would be Glenn Snell.  I think Waldo misinterpreted the signature on the photo.  Glenn had several children that she probably knew--Greg, Melanie, and ?????

Wilma

I have an idea of where the Armstrong place was now.  I was thinking the northwest part of the county as I have heard from several very reliable people that they have seen cougar out there.

frawin

Wilma, its was 50 years ago that Howard saw the Cougar. The River runs close to  the area where the Morrow place was and also other neighbors reported Cougar sightings in the late 50s. It is an ideal place for Cougars, lots of Brush, deer were starting to move in there, not very heavily populated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk